New to chickens from London Ontario area

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: New to chickens from London Ontario area

Post by ross » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 pm

I used to live on the Jamestown Rd there by Copenagen south of Aylmer back in the 70s .Nice area . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:57 am

:welcome: to :PTO: ...only been in chickens for about three years but the folks here have shepherded me thru many a dilemma...great place, lots of info...enjoy... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:35 am

aylmer is a nice area....sometimes i get down that way since my branch of the MNR main office is there and if i'm late with my license purchases...well...lol. i'm down near west lorne/glencoe....and there's a few of us around this part of ontario. :-)
berryhill (www.berryhill.ca) is a very interesting store down in st. thomas, but warning DO NOT LOOK unless you plan on going "oh, that's NEAT! and buying 5...". you've been warned LOL.

hm. if you want eggs....daily....then a production breed BUT with that said it doesn't hurt to have eye candy puttering around too LOL. best is to take a look, see what you like, and then realize that production reds (also called commercial rhode island reds), leghorns of any colour (there's several) will all lay a TON of eggs, as will commercial black sex linked, red sex links (like red star etc). but if you don't want commercial type birds but more on the good egger eye candy birds the mahogany rhode island reds are very respectable layers, as are the light brown leghorns....easter eggers lay fewer but they lay eggs in shades of green, blue, purple sometimes, rose, olive etc. ameraucanas lay blue eggs...marans are typically dark brown eggs, and welsummers classically have a darker egg (not as dark as a marans) with spots or speckles....LOL. and of course birds come in all kinds of different colours, patterns, sizes, and looks (ameraucanas are funny looking with muffs and beards for instance...and super good foragers....)....
so which birds? completely up to you!!!! ha ha-half the fun is figuring out what you'd like. remember that production birds will lay like crazy for about a year or two, but the non-productions will lay longer (i have a 5 year old still laying....), but not as many per year.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 am

I started out with ready to lays and had a lot of fun until the addiction set in LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”