Just in from Pakenham

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
IndianCreek
Newly Hatched Chick

Just in from Pakenham

Post by IndianCreek » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi All
Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Scott, and my partner Marisa and I operate Indian Creek Orchard Gardens outside of Pakenham (45min west of Ottawa). We got into poultry looking for some free labour and fertilirty around the farm. We pasture our Wyandottes in rotations over most of our growing area. 6 months of the year we feed them with cover crops grown where we intend to pasture them. In return they take care of insect larvae and manure for the following season. The flock spends the winters rotating through our five greenhouses doing the same, although we actually feed them during the winters.

Funny thing about these birds is that they slowly (or not so slowly) take over your life. I'm now hell bent on producing a respectable Canadian line of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I find myself staying up late and driving long hours tracking down leads on breeding stock. I almost left for Missouri last night until I found out the flock I was going to see were not NPIP certified :( . But I'm hell bent or addicted now, maybe I'll leave for Oregon next weekend (Is there a 12 step program for this?)

Anyways, I'm on the prowl for some BLRW breeding stock if anyone is in the know? Looking for Pigeon Blue lacing with the darked Mahogany Red ground imaginable. Would also be open to a rose combed Rhode Island Red for a few Blue Wyandottes to fold into the mix to fine tune the colour.

So hi from Pakenham! Please share any leads you might have. Thanks and talk to you in the forums ...

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Just in from Pakenham

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 am

well good day and welcome eh! Burnstown here!
Yep, the bug has got ya, worse than it has me (or Jim or others)! I've heard of many other addicts: one guy raised endangered species of ducks and he'd send birds and get birds from all over to keep bloodlines healthy.

I would check the results from bird shows and fairs (Royal Winter Fair show https://assistexpo.ca/results/2017-rawf/10/1007 , Syracuse State Fair show, etc) and the show results list all the breeders (name and address) and how they placed in the show.
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Canada.html

plus take some pics and put them up please!

your farm is incomplete...no nut trees!
ECSONG- Eastern Chapter Ontario Nut Growers
http://www.songonline.ca/ecsong/

https://www.goldenboughtrees.ca/about.shtml

and you must check this thread: Spring 2018 Garden / Farm Conferences and Workshops

:beer: :beer2: :farmer:
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:30 am

Welcome to PTO!! I think Prosperity Acres on here might have blue laced red wyandottes. I know somebody was using them as a project to make a blue laced red Chantecler, and I think it was them.
Muskoka Maiden I think had some too.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:34 am

DId Mike have BLRWs or just blues?
ANyway Welcome!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:15 am

Hello and welcome!

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:01 am

Welcome and nice website :)
Andy :egg:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 am

Welcome!
If you have any BLRW spares I’m in! I started with a dozen chicks from McMurray 7 years ago but over time haven’t been able to get enough to keep them going so only have one hen left. They caught my eye and I had to have them so I perfectly understand your addiction to them.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:58 am

Hello and welcome :welcome: down on the Rideau here...barred Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island reds in my flock along with some lovely mutts...good luck in your search and breeding, its sounds like a worthwhile challenge...lots of good folks here with help and ideas :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 am

Welcome to pto! Good luck with your project! Hopefully people here will have what you need or know where to find it. Hope you enjoy the forum
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 am

:welcome: from one Wyandotte aficionado to another, nice to hear from somebody else who has got the bug :)
Hope you put some of your birds in PTO show.

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”