Just in from Pakenham

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
IndianCreek
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Just in from Pakenham

Post by IndianCreek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Thanks for the warm Welcome

Baron of Renfrew - actually we have about 50 hazel planted,

Ontario Chick - Yes, I'll put my bantam black wyandottes in the PTO show, my BLRWs are only 5 weeks, so the jury is still out on them

TomK - Any of your RIR's with a rose comb?

Brebis - none at the moment, I'm growing a batch out, it will probably be a few months before I know which ones I'll breed

Killerbunny - what does a Blue Columbian Wyandotte look Like?, any photos?

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Welcome to PTO IndianCreek,

Always glad to have fellow poultry keepers as crazy or crazier then me join PTO. I have not traveled to the US yet to pick up birds or hatching eggs but since getting started with poultry about 4 years ago do seem to travel several 1000 km each year.

I am looking into getting some turkeys and probably chickens from the US this Spring. Just looking into the vet certificate thing.

Best of luck with your search for quality stock and it you do bring in birds from the US if the farm you buy from has breds I am interested in I would be interesting in helping cover costs bringing in US birds. Needed NPIP and AI certified farm plus vet inspected chicks or farm inspected within last 30 days for hatching eggs.

Best of luck.

Plus chickens are great but you really should get yourself some turkeys and guinea fowl as well.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Yes, I agree guineas are a good match for a garden business: they eat seeds and bugs and leave fruits and veggies alone (leaves? I forget)
vineyard operations swear by them for bug control. but noisy and if left free they could travel great distances (and lay eggs anywhere).

:farmer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:05 am

Welcome to the site :D
Andy :egg:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:20 pm

IndianCreek wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:53 pm
Thanks for the warm Welcome

TomK - Any of your RIR's with a rose comb?
Nope...i'd like to get some different strains of RIR...these are the production version from Frey's....the jury is still out on whether i like them very much or not....so far the Rocks are by far superior birds although i have some EEs that are terrific birds... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Pollo Caballo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Pollo Caballo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 am

Welcome to the site.
You have a terrific way of managing both your produce and your chickens. You are truly embracing the term ‘sustainable agriculture’ as I was taught in Aggie college many years ago.
I have a 4 year old blue laced red Wyandotte cross hen that is pretty, friendly and still a good egg (and chick) producer and I have been considering getting some hatching eggs for purebred BLR Wyandottes either this or next year. I would not be as strict as you on their colour or type I suspect but I still look for the best stock available of whatever breed I hatch out so keep us posted on your project!

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”