New from Brockville area

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: New from Brockville area

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:08 pm

well good day and welcome eh! ducks are great, but they have to be hatched and raised alongside chickens or the chickens will boss them and not let
them eat (if housed together). nothing cuter than ducklings! the big question before getting birds is who will butcher/process them when you have too many or too many males or they get old and stop laying (and that q is true for any bird). once you have that answered you are good to go.

case in point: "no kill" pet shelters/humane societies in big cities where backyard chickens are allowed have a chicken problem. people get romantic notions of backyard chickens, they have have them and get eggs for three or four years, then they don't have the heart (or aren't allowed) to butcher them so they drop them at the humane society.

I hope I didn't dampen your enthusiasm. :beer: :farmer:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:55 pm

:welcome: to PTO...I'm a chicken guy but my wife has an ongoing love affair with ducks so they will be in our future here as well...lots of great info here and awesome people in this area...not too far from you ...hope you enjoy the forum... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Good point. My parents, in their hobby farm retirement, had ducks, and could not do the killing, so they took them somewhere to be "processed", but then sheepishly admitted that they still couldn't eat "Henry" so they gave away the meat and never had livestock again. We resolved from the beginning, knowing we would likely be the same way, that our hens would be able to retire from their egg-laying careers, take part-time jobs as garden tillers and pest-killers, and be pets until they die of old age.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Yes that's why we have only three....

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm

:beer: cheers to you for figuring out your plan (even if its different from mine) and not waking up one day and thinking "oh crap! now what?"
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thejonesboy
Turkey Wrangler

Post by thejonesboy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:06 pm

Welcome to :PTO:
Andy :egg:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:55 pm

I let my old girls free range more, I think they have a happier life , enjoying the sunshine and eating bugs even though because of predators it may be shorter.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Welcome! I am still fairly new with lots of questions, and am down the road a few miles, near Westport.

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”