Room for one more?

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Room for one more?

Post by treerooted » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 pm

Poultryprincess wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm
BTW - what is the treerooted meaning?
Nothing really! I've used different versions as user names before. Started out back when I was a tree planter for the summers.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Well gidday eh! Since you have now put down "roots" and bought a farm...start with planting trees. Windbreaks are first, then fruit and nut trees and bushes. Plant Korean white pines: pine nuts are $50 per pound and you can grow them. www.rhora.com

http://www.songonline.ca/ecsong/ (eastern chapter of Society of Ontario nut growers) and you really should get heartnuts if nothing else
www.grimonut.com (Niagara)
Or better yet https://www.siloamorchards.com for Macfree, Liberty and other naturally disease free apple trees.

And especially http://www.goldenboughtrees.ca
As they are in Napanee.

Don't do anything "temporary" as temporary is at least ten years.

Dream about fences, buildings, and the "big picture" and work towards that.
And I suggest moveable chicken yards for summer use: chicken tractors. Less shoveling and birds are healthier.

Stay tuned here as I'll post winter farm workshops when I have them.
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Since you have little children: keep a rooster of the gentle breeds: Orpingtons, Buckeyes, Jersey Giants and Brahmas. The last two are gentle giants, and big birds are less often bothered by predators.

And here's a local source of many birds:
http://www.performancepoultry.com/index.php
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:55 am

My Brahma cross "Frank" is a lovely boy. He just watches you when you get the eggs and the girls love him!
I've been getting trees and shrubs from goldenbough and I've had great success.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks for the starting points @baronrenfrew !

Our birds are from PP, but I decided to keep a Barnevelder and Wyandotte roo, both nice birds and no issues. I was looking into getting Buckeyes this spring. In general the breeds I choose were for calm temperament, cold hardiness, dual purpose. So far so good. My favorite have turned out to be the Speckled Sussex.

I'd been looking at golden bough, but wasn't on the ball and missed ordering rootstock this fall, partially because I wasn't sure where I could get scions. :( I would like to eventually establish a small orchard. Looking into maybe getting bees as well and have joined the local bee keepers guild.

We're lucky that our pastures are fenced (though needing some repair). As well as some established 'windbreaks', though they're pretty sparse. We have an old century barn (also needing repair...so I don't know if we'll be able to keep it). As well as a new very large shop (was a HUGE plus on buying this place). And an old carriage house (in need of repair lol). I do like having a permanent coop using deep litter, and I pasture my chickens with portable electric fencing. But in the future I'd like to build a chicken tractor, particularly for meat bird flocks during the summer. Everything just takes time, and the toddler is 2% help 98% mischief :D

Thank you for the nut information! I will definitely be looking to it, I hadn't considered pine nuts so that will be exciting to explore!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm

So according to the chart I just looked at you are "hardiness zone 6b" http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/?m=22&l ... ario&val=K
So that gives you lots of great options that don't work for me (4b) and you have a half dozen nut pines to choose from (be sure to inoculate the roots with Rhora's stuff) and it ties in to the permaculture stuff we should all be doing.

And I gave you my greatest ideas saving you years of research/thinking so have fun.

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm

:dance: Thanks @baronrenfrew , 6b would be lovely but I'm actually north of Kingston so not getting any lake effect :(. Our area is 5a/4b, but still looks like there are some good options available! Thanks again :)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 am

You is the kind of recruit we want here. We can mould and shape you into something really worth having as a member.

Myself, I almost didnt join. It was like Groucho Marx said. I dont want to be associated with a bunch whose standards are so low that they would accept me as a member. But I joined up anyway, And mostly enjoy the whole bunch, the advice when needed and even when its not, and the give and take.

Welcome. The only flaw I can see in you at this time is that you dont have any goats, but you have the power to change that if you will put your mind to it.

Life is good

Farrier1987
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Ha, thanks for the welcome @Farrier1987 Yes there may be goats one day!

(My parents are moving from the Ridgetown area next year to be out this way near family; nice growing season you've got!)

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:51 pm

If you get to ridgetown to visit them you are invited to meet my goats. We are about 20 min drive. Let me know.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”