Room for one more?

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Pollo Caballo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Room for one more?

Post by Pollo Caballo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Hello and welcome to PTO.
What kind of critters ( besides chickens) were you hoping to raise?

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 am

HA HA HA HA HA
The only flaw I can see in you at this time is that you dont have any goats, but you have the power to change that if you will put your mind to it.

Farrier1987 You KILL me!!!!
( ps - that seems to be the Biggest hurdle I have with hubby!
He does NOT want me to get goats....makes me realize he is NOT perfect LOL
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 am

I’d take sheep before I’d ever get goats! But to each their own....
(Full disclosure, I have had sheep for almost 20 years and love them for their sweet personalities and versatility.)
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Pollo Caballo wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 pm
Hello and welcome to PTO.
What kind of critters ( besides chickens) were you hoping to raise?
Hi! Nothing in the immediate future, so we're pretty open to anything right now. But in order of likelihood: probably goats, sheep, cow. Any animal(s) would have to pay their way, one way or another, and we haven't gotten anywhere near that type of planing yet. But we have a small farm and lots of potential!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:28 pm

treerooted wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:26 am
KimChick wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm
Welcome neighbour! We have lived north of Kingston for almost 2 yrs. now and have a small hobby farm - large veggie garden, chickens, turkeys, 2 cattle on the imminent list, and maybe some rabbits and a couple of goats in the future.
Sounds wonderful! We'd like to get some larger animals, but cost is a real prohibitive for us at the moment as I'm not currently working. We're a lot closer to Kingston as my husband needs to commute into town for work. Getting a cow, goats or sheep would be in the five-year plan :) But chickens are a good start! We butcher our own for meat as well. And once I try out a few more breeds I'll be moving towards a self sustaining flock.

Even though it wasn't a planned moved (we had been looking for property around Peter borogh), I do like the area, and I think we really lucked out finding a small farm. I feel like I've done nothing in the year we've been here but it sounds like you've really got things going!
Was just reading your post again, having not been on the site in a while. We are in year 2 of our 5 year plan. We just got our 2 cattle - have had them for a week already! They are still a bit skiddish but warming up to us slowly. We had meat chickens and turkeys this summer and butchered them ourselves. Excellent tasting meat!
Our move was about a year sooner than we had planned because we had a suitable house and property get sold before we could even view it. After that, we thought we had better get a move on before we have difficulty finding what we want and could afford. Have fun on your new farm!

treerooted
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by treerooted » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks Kim!
Good luck with your cattle; that's an exciting addition!
It's a lovely lifestyle and I'm glad I get to raise my family on a farm

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”