My chickens arrived today!

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: My chickens arrived today!

Post by ross » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:38 pm

No app for that Linda . Laying mash, water & time to settle in than Mother Nature takes over . Luck
PS I personally leave feed down 24/7 even when free ranging .
Last edited by ross on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 pm

My girls have layer mash in the coops at all times and they range happily off and come back for a feed at night.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:35 pm

I went and checked on them a while ago. Lots of thumping around noises from inside the coop. Guess they were rearranging the furniture!

They laid two eggs on the floor, there are no shavings in the one nesting box and the kitty litter one is housing two scared hens. Hopefully, I can let them out into the pen tomorrow and I'll be able to re-arrange things, clean up and replenish. I think they might like to be able to hide behind a nesting box when I have to go in there.

I left them a big scoop (two cups) full of food in the rabbit bowl but I don't know if they ate the first one overnight or tossed it on the floor. I put the same amount in again this morning and someone pooped in it. Is that what they think of it? I'll have to buy a proper feeder and hang it from the ceiling.

Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Congrats on your girls! Treats work wonders for winning a chicken over. Even if you can just get them to stop freaking out when you need in there it will be a much nicer experience for everyone involved! Mine love cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberry tops, oatmeal flakes or just about any kind of leftovers. A little goes a long way or you'll get poopy butts lol. They will be leary of anything new including food so give them time. And yes a hung or raised feeder is a must or you'll waste feed like crazy. Enjoy them!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks Happy. Will have to find them some treats and cozy up to them :) I gave them some dandelion leaves, but I don't think they were very popular. Strawberry tops? Who'd a thunk it?

Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Mine love dandelion leaves but only when I pick them and hold them for them! Otherwise they are just plain green stuff available at any time....nothing special!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:45 pm

They will do tricks for bits of stale bread ;)

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 pm

And mealworms. Those are my go-to if I need them to "come hither" in a hurry. And green grapes.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”