Hello from North Bay

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Hello from North Bay

Post by thegawd » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:34 pm

my reds are awesome, big and beautiful birds. they fit the definition of a heritage breed to a T. they were also bred for exhibition. I cant take credit for any of it though and owe it all to Stephane at English River Poultry out of Quebec. he did the importation and bred these birds very well. im still trying to build up my numbers but have a breeding flock of 10 ish birds. I unfortunately suffered a major loss of 37 birds last year to a coon that really set me back almost to square one. I love my Reds and they are my focus, the best breed in the world!

heres a pic of the best bird that survived the attack. a lovely pullet. its not the greatest pic n definitely not the most flattering, this is after she was judged at my first show last Saturday. no disqualifications and won best of breed, pssst... she was the only one there LOL. We need more breeders!
20170211_113825966763712.jpg
Al

Home Grown Poultry

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Hello from North Bay

Post by tcamp » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Ohhhh, I just might be interested in some of your reds :) If I get down to Cambridge I'll let you know and see if you have any extra eggs for sale :) Sorry to hear about your flock...predators are a real bi*tch sometimes. I have lost a few to them as well. Last year it was a fox...and one year it was my own dog...that really sucked! We DO need more breeders for them, you are right. We are losing the real heritage reds fast.
I always was told RHR rooster were aggressive (and the hatchery ones are well known for it) but last year I had a heritage RIR Roo here that I watched for someone for a few weeks and he was amazing!!! He would run to greet you everytime he saw you and he kept the hens where he wanted them, but not once did he get aggressive. I had no hens for him nor could I find any...or i would have stocked up on some eggs while I had him lol!

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Hello from North Bay

Post by Bayvistafarm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Good day and Welcome! Although we don't get to North Bay very often.... I have many relatives your way (Trout Creek/Powassan and of course North Bay), and some friends!!

I live relatively close to Flat Rock Farm. If your wanting a neat breed EO's.. shes the gal to contact.

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Hello from North Bay

Post by tcamp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Bayvistafarm wrote:QR_BBPOST Good day and Welcome! Although we don't get to North Bay very often.... I have many relatives your way (Trout Creek/Powassan and of course North Bay), and some friends!!

I live relatively close to Flat Rock Farm. If your wanting a neat breed EO's.. shes the gal to contact.
I had to look up EO's lol! Nice to meet you!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Hello from North Bay

Post by Happy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Bayvistafarm wrote:QR_BBPOST Good day and Welcome! Although we don't get to North Bay very often.... I have many relatives your way (Trout Creek/Powassan and of course North Bay), and some friends!!

Geez Bayvista we may be related! My dad's family is from Powasson. Still many relatives there.

Flat Rock Farm

Hello from North Bay

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:39 am

tcamp wrote:QR_BBPOST

I had to look up EO's lol! Nice to meet you!
Look at the Breeders Listings on the forum, you can see my birds. :wink:

Here's the link http://pto.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2927

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Hello from North Bay

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST

Geez Bayvista we may be related! My dad's family is from Powasson. Still many relatives there.
lol. Probs not related... although maybe thru my cousins' husband. I'm not sure how to spell his last name...Wuilleme ? Lyle married my cousin Debbie. Shes got a lot of kids, lol. My daughters husband's parents just moved up there a couple summers ago. His name is Sten Williams.

In North Bay.. my husbands sister lives there with her family. Her last name is Massana. They both worked in the armed forces for years, him just recently retired. I think Amy works in some home, with people who have special needs... not sure where tho.

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Hello from North Bay

Post by tcamp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST my reds are awesome, big and beautiful birds. they fit the definition of a heritage breed to a T. they were also bred for exhibition. I cant take credit for any of it though and owe it all to Stephane at English River Poultry out of Quebec. he did the importation and bred these birds very well. im still trying to build up my numbers but have a breeding flock of 10 ish birds. I unfortunately suffered a major loss of 37 birds last year to a coon that really set me back almost to square one. I love my Reds and they are my focus, the best breed in the world!

heres a pic of the best bird that survived the attack. a lovely pullet. its not the greatest pic n definitely not the most flattering, this is after she was judged at my first show last Saturday. no disqualifications and won best of breed, pssst... she was the only one there LOL. We need more breeders!

20170211_113825966763712.jpg
I found my reds!! We picked them up today...I will take some pics tomorrow. They are definitely heritage and were bred for exhibition as well. You were just too far away...these were over three hours away but I really couldn't convince hubby to drive me 6 hours away...lol! But i am so happy to have found some...I have been searching near me forever and it seems no one has them anywhere near here.

Flat Rock Farm

Hello from North Bay

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:26 pm

:congrats: tcamp for finding them :yippiechickie:

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Hello from North Bay

Post by tcamp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Not the best lighting in the coop at night...and the little bits of white you see is from being stuck 5 in a box for a four hour ride home...lol. They are a late summer hatch, so about 6-7 months old.
17357276_194179084403822_1118576754_o.jpg

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”