noob from Oxford county

New to PTO? Want to stop in and say hi and introduce yourself? Here's the place to do it!
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

noob from Oxford county

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:47 am

JimW has 2 daughters that he has started in the chicken business. I'm sure he'll be a great resource for you too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

noob from Oxford county

Post by thegawd » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:51 am

up near the top is the User Map, click on that and you can figure out who is close to you. you could also add yourself to the map but we don't recommend using your actual address, just the nearest town, timmies or such...

have fun!
Screenshot_2016-11-14-09-51-20-522710129.png
Al

Home Grown Poultry

kenya
Henny Penny

noob from Oxford county

Post by kenya » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Woodstock sale is OK but if you want particular breeds members on here can help you, and you will likely get better birds. At this time of the year auction sales will have mostly cockerals and older culled hen's. Never know what you will find at an auction though. We should really start a thread to help beginners see the different breeds members have to help them choose the breeds they want. There is likely a member on this forum with a particular breed you might like.

pipes
Newly Hatched Chick

noob from Oxford county

Post by pipes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks for letting me know of the map function. I never would have looked for it otherwise. Doesn't seem to be any members close by, but then again, not everyone who raises chickens does the internet thing. I think I'll ask at the local feed store after I get settled in my new place.

I'm kind of reluctant to go to a BST event, as you don't really know why the birds are being sold. Disease, aggression, age, all things that may discourage a noob with a coop. Do you guys and gals ever do coop tours? Or a "PTO Meet & Greet". Perhaps there might even be a poultry club in my area??? At 45 I think I'm a little too old for 4H...
I'm not saying get rid of the stupid people, I'm saying do away with the warning labels and let the problem work its self out.

poultry_admin
Site Admin

noob from Oxford county

Post by poultry_admin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:38 pm

the yellow squares on the map are either clubs or bst places. Its by no means a complete list, we keep adding as we find out about them.

the other sections here that might be of interest to you are the "Breeder listing" here:
http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum ... m.php?f=70

event calendar with the newest announced ones on top:
http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum ... m.php?f=78

there are a few coop designs and projects here:
http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum ... m.php?f=22

all of these are work in progress and not complete, but maybe of help?
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

KimChick
Head Chicken

noob from Oxford county

Post by KimChick » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Our original layers were Black Sex Links. They are a light-weight bird, but boy, they lay lovely large eggs! Our Red Sex Links were originally for meat, but as we were culling the nasty roosters, they started laying. So now we have the both types of birds all laying.

And... Oh my gosh! Where are my manners?!? Welcome Pipes! I am new here, too; hubby and I are in our first year of having chickens.
Last edited by KimChick on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

noob from Oxford county

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:25 pm

:welcome:
To get you started on your adventures with poultry successfully,
# 1 check your local by-laws to make sure chickens are allowed in your area.
# 2 here is a handy dandy chicken chart, to help you decide on the breed you absolutely can't live without ;)
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
# 3 space requirements large birds are 4.0 square feet per bird, 3.0 for light breeds and 2.0 for bantams.
For a book that will answer most of your poultry questions, visit your local library or write to Santa for
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow.
Happy hunting. :)

pipes
Newly Hatched Chick

noob from Oxford county

Post by pipes » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Once again thank you very much for the advice.

As a true born Scot. Does anyone know of anyone breeding the scots breeds in Ontario?
I'm not saying get rid of the stupid people, I'm saying do away with the warning labels and let the problem work its self out.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

noob from Oxford county

Post by Jaye » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Welcome aboard, pipes!
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

noob from Oxford county

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:27 pm

MicahandKiah were looking into importing some Dumpies a few years ago, not sure if that ever went anywhere or not. I don't think anyone in Canada is really breeding them...there are a few in the U.S. but all share a common bloodline. Importing chickens from anywhere can be a royal PITA, then in the case of Dumpies with the lethal creeper gene and it's an expensive proposition indeed. The Scot breeds need some champions with spare cash! Or, they would be pretty easy to "recreate"...hmmm...

Return to “I'm New Here Introductions”