Stock Preserve?

SandyM

Stock Preserve?

Post by SandyM » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Is it possible to make stock (chicken & vegetable), jar it and put in cold cellar, not fridge and leave it for how long?
Last edited by SandyM on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Stock Preserve?

Post by thegawd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Lizzie made a bunch of different stocks the other day... Turkey, Pork, and beef. no idea what happens after... I think she froze it? I dont know i stay away from the kitchen and she stays away from the garage HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

HappyHomesteader
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Stock Preserve?

Post by HappyHomesteader » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Lol I was just replying too. I did freeze the stock this time in snack size ziploc bags (1 bag = 1 pot of soup) you can easily can it for shelf storage. You need to use a pressure canner to avoid botulism. Keeps for about a year after canned if you keep it in a cool place. Hope that helps, bone broth is amazing. Really helpful with intestinal health.
Lizzie

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Stock Preserve?

Post by thegawd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:01 pm

ya see... I have no idea what that means? but it tastes mmmm mmm good! I get chased out of the kitchen all the time... I recall hearing... get out of it! or thats for supper, or or. one night i found a delicious snack in the fridge. i got woken up early and learned I ate part of the kids lunch... OOPS!

Its always delicious but im scared to go in there LOL.

Okay im just kidding... im sneakier now lol.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

SandyM

Stock Preserve?

Post by SandyM » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks! Maybe just freezing I'll start with. I make bone broth often and some vegetables ones. But I'd rather make a HUGE batch and not have to do it weekly.
Umm, can you freeze mason jars? Lol. Silly question I know. I've never put a mason jar in the freezer. I'd prefer to not freeze in plastic.

HappyHomesteader
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Stock Preserve?

Post by HappyHomesteader » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Yes you can freeze them. I freeze quite a few of them actually. You need to let it cool to room temperature first, if you put it in hot it might crack the glass. Also you need to leave about an inch at the top for expansion. I make broth in large batches, it does save time and it's nice always having it on hand.
Lizzie

SandyM

Stock Preserve?

Post by SandyM » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks Lizzie!!! Appreciate advice :)

HappyHomesteader
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Stock Preserve?

Post by HappyHomesteader » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 pm

You can also freeze it In ice cube trays and then put the cubes into whatever container you wish for storage. Good size for adding to fried rice or stir fry.
Last edited by HappyHomesteader on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzie

SandyM

Stock Preserve?

Post by SandyM » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Nice idea!!! Excellent!! Thank you.

Lou's mom was telling me yesterday that I can freeze my fresh herbs in olive oil, put in ice cube trays and take out per use. Awesome idea. I just need to figure out how freezing affects olive oil. I buy organic unfiltered so I'd like to make sure the structure isn't altered.

But who would of thought??

HappyHomesteader
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Stock Preserve?

Post by HappyHomesteader » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Freezing herbs in ice cube trays is a great way to keep them in the house all the time. I just use water but oil sounds like a good idea too.
Lizzie

Return to “Favourite Recipes”