3 gr. peppers
5 onions
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp salt
2 tsp ground allspice
Puree the tomatoes in a squeeze strainer. Liquefy the tomato paste, onions, and peppers with some of the vinegar in a blender. Mix everything together in a roasting pan. Cook uncovered in a 200 degree oven for 10 hours. Ladle into jars and process 10 mins for pints and 15 mins for quarts.

I am a lazy cook so measure roughly, toss everything into a big roaster and use a stick blender thingy and puree it all together, taste test, and then let it cook until it looks like catsup. It works out well in a slow cooker also. I don't mind if there a few tomato seeds and small chunks in my catsup. I also substitute the corn syrup and sugar with a combination of honey, maple syrup and raw sugar. This substitution just depends on what I have on hand at the time. Once you make this you will never go back to store bought :)

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Catsup recipe

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:25 am

YUM!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Catsup recipe

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:26 am

I made this, but I quartered it to make sure we would like it and we seldom use ketchup. Primary use is for my BBQ sauce.

My additions: I used a crock pot and I added garlic powder and a bit of ginger powder. I used organic cane sugar. Apple cider vinegar. No corn syrup, just used honey instead. It's now our go-to!!

It's great!!!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Catsup recipe

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Favourite Recipes”