Spanakopita

SandyM

Spanakopita

Post by SandyM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:29 am

Well, if I was in death row and was offered a last meal I would ask for spanakopita and Greek salad!

2 pkgs of frozen spinach (or fresh if you feel like dicing a lot of spinach up)
1 pkg of phyllo pastry
1/2 big red onion
2 large garlic gloves
1 tub of Greek feta cheese.
Olive oil, salt and pepper to taste

In frying pan, drizzle olive oil over bottom of pan and put in spinach (frozen is fine just cook slower and lower) and diced red onion. Cook on low until most of the water is gone. Add grated (or diced) garlic and continue to cook on low until all the moisture has left. Remove from burn'er.

Let the spinach mixture cool. Add crumbled feta cheese to spinach mixture. Mix well.

Preheat oven to 375

Brush a cookie sheet lightly with olive oil. On the oiled cookie sheet lay out 4-5 sheets of phyllo. Brush olive oil lightly over the phyllo and spread 1/2 of your spinach mixture over it. Lay another 4-5 sheets down and brush with olive oil. Spread remaining spinach mixture over phyllo and cover with 6-7 more sheets of phyllo. Cut phyllo with scissors to fit the tray. Brush olive oil over top layer. Cut into serving size squares and put in oven. Cook until phyllo is golden brown and crispy. (Sorry I don't time, I just cook and pull when ready)

Enjoy warm. I also eat cold for lunch next day.
image.jpeg

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Spanakopita

Post by kenya » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:49 am

Mmmmmm sounds and looks good!

Silkie Sue
On the Roost

Spanakopita

Post by Silkie Sue » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:22 pm

i'm gonna try this but i am a total mess in the kitchen.... you said you don't time it but can you give me an approximate when i should start checking it :dunno:
Sue

SandyM

Spanakopita

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:43 am

Silkie Sue wrote:QR_BBPOST i'm gonna try this but i am a total mess in the kitchen.... you said you don't time it but can you give me an approximate when i should start checking it :dunno:
Sue
I would say check after 10 mins and rotate pan. In total approx 20 mins

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Spanakopita

Post by WLLady » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:24 pm

So thats what that is...lol. not that i can spell or say it...lol. sounds yummy. Now i just need to find time to cook.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Favourite Recipes”