Thnksgiving dinner....

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Thnksgiving dinner....

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:56 am

After a foolish trip to the grocery store last week, apparently forgot how to shop in person, I was a bit stunned by the prices of some of the staples.
Made me reconsider the whole eating idea ;)

So what are the lovely things you are planning to serve this Thanksgiving ???
So far I have pulled out a very old recipe of "bunt cake " that has no butter (DH is lactose intolerant)
now I am just gathering the courage to actually make it ;)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Re: Thnksgiving dinner....

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:53 pm

Well, I guess I should have been more specific,
Thanksgiving to me is being Thankful for the fact that I am still around at 3/4 of a century and having my own teeth to eat with. :)
Guests not necessary for a good meal, especially if some of it comes from our own garden.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:40 pm

Going to Sister-in-law’s for NORMAL thanksgiving meal 🥘 not sure what’s normal still got most of own teeth but memories slipping . Have a good one folks
Attachments
8BE78B6E-6037-456C-934A-C82DBF2D4BC2.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 am

Actually, this is my favourite holiday! There is no pressure for presents, the colours are fabulous. The food is usually awesome. And this year we get to 'see' people in person. What's not to be thankful for....we're still on the right side of the grass!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:19 am

We are having my mom and my father-in-law for a smaller version of a "normal" Thanksgiving supper which suits me just fine! The last time I hosted a big family Thanksgiving people kept inviting "just one more person" and I ended up with 27 for supper. Never again!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:59 pm

I too am grateful to still be around, to have a house and large garden with room to move (esp. with the recent Covid restrictions).

Hubby is all set to BBQ a leg of lamb for Thanksgiving and we'll have sweet potatoes and chard with that. I might even bake an apple pie......

Linda

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:37 pm

ha...MJ caught a bug earlier this week and has recovered but it put a crimp on the dinner get together with our kids and fams....one daughter is pregnant, one is trying to be and one is recovering from cancer so we are super cautious and thusly delayed the dinner til next weekend (as if it matters)....but MJ and I are having a 2 person turkey dinner on Monday anyway...,just cuz..some home grown turnip, parsnips, potatoes, apple sauce and a turkey we have saved just for such an occasion...@Killerbunny ....should be awesome...and then off to my folks with the remains.. and round 2....yay me!!!! :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:37 pm

So final analysis here.
dinner (lunch) for two,

Kansas City, Kansas ham (possibly a 1/4 of a pig purchased in a hurry without reading the small print ;)
Kansas Ham.jpg
Roasted parsnip garlic and parsley
roasted parsnips.jpg
, home grown, Thank you @TomK

No butter bunt cake ( sorry, not as good as butter one)
No butter bunt cake.jpg

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:19 pm

It all looks delish, and that cake would be great with a pile of jam on it :).

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:59 pm

We did thanksgiving dinner for lunch here today. Stuffed heritage turkey breast (a royal palm if i remember correctly)....i just take the breast and butterfly it horizontally and then made stuffing (old bread crumbled up, sauteed onion and celery, a bit of melted butter, parsely, sage, rosemary, thyme and black pepper) and put that onto the breast and rolled it up. Put the extra stuffing around it, and baked in the oven. Did 2 breasts so i could send some left overs home with my mom. Then homegrown mashed potatoes, and beans from the garden. She had picked up an apple pie from the market in her home town and brought that with her. So. good meal! we ate at 1 and no need for dinner! Thankful she's still around - had her GI cancer surgery just at the beginning of covid and has kidney cancer as well....sigh. She's still here on this side of the grass....Also thankful my dad is still around and while we didn't share dinner with them (dad and stepmom are on the other side of a stupidly still mostly closed border) we are still happy they're both here! Happy to have a roof over my head, and some mobility, and healing....soon i'll be back on my feet too. hopefully!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Favourite Recipes”