Chilli hot chocolate

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I have some "ancho" chilli powder from the Poblano pepper.

Just found this recipe... Copied from a site

I'll let you tonite how it tastes.

Categories: American, Beverage, Chocolate, Dairy, Dessert, Mexican
Submitted By: Marcia from Hudson.
Print 101 Collect at Salty Fig

Freedom From Tranquility Hot Cocoa Notes
This recipe was inspired by the movie, "Chocolat".

Photo by Abbie Lewis.

Ingredients
1 cup whole milk
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
1/4 cup minus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons natural cocoa powder
1 teaspoon dutched cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon, plus additional to taste good quality chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
generous dash finely ground black pepper
Preparation Instructions
In a heavy duty small saucepan, or saucier, over medium low to medium heat, combine milk, sugar and bittersweet chocolate. Simmer, stirring constantly until almost to a boil. Add cocoa powders, chili powder, cinnamon and pepper. Bring to a rolling boil for one minute. Remove from heat, pour into mug, and top with additional chili powder to taste. Enjoy!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by Robbie » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Shouldn't this be in the humour section? This is a joke, right?
1/4 teaspoon "plus additional to taste" chili powder!!!!!!!!!!!????? If you eat that you're most certainly going to have "freedom from tranquility"!!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Rhonda
On the Roost

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by Rhonda » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:42 pm

The part that made me laugh is "almost to a boil". If it isn't actually boiling how do you know it is about to?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:28 pm

I boiled a kettle and poured hot water over 1 teaspoon each of demerera sugar (natural brown) and quality cocoa powder, 1/3 teaspoon of cinnamon and ancho chilli powder. Ancho chilli powder is 1/2 the heat of a typical chilli powder and has more flavour. Topped w coffee cream. Chilli should be boiled or cooked to release the flavour but I'm lazy. Mmmm, i'll be doing that again.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by Robbie » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Baron you are one tough fellow, for sure! Even with half the heat........... WOO HOOOOOOO!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:57 pm

"Chilli" powder is dried from a mix of chillies including green chillies: sorrano and jalopeno and reds and includes some basil and cumin (preferably Mexican basil). Cayenne powder is just the chillies. Paprika is dried and ground sweet red pepper that is usually grown in a vineyard. The heat in a pepper is greater in the seeds and ribs of the pepper.

I am experimenting with the Poblano peper (i finally got some seed) which is the pepper Mexicans love best for flavour and "mild" heat and is dried into "ancho" powder. I finally found some powder (that wasn't on a shelf 5 years and tasteless) and they have dried peppers : similiar in texture to sun dried tomatoes.

Anybody want seedlings if I have success?

SandyM

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by SandyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:45 am

I'm 1/2 Ukrainian. Not a spice person. Even chilli goes without chilli powder in our home hahahahahah!! The craziest I get with strong flavours is cabbage, onions, garlic and on my wildest days I will crack some pepper. I would not be able to drink a chilli hot chocolate. I can't even tolerate chai tea. Explosion!

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by Bayvistafarm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:29 am

Ha ha. I'm growing some of these this year!! They are already up!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Love chili plus chocolate, but I use powdered peppers only, not a fan of cumin in chocolate.
I looooove spicy food. The chili peppers I grow and use are called Chile de Arbol, hot enough for almost anything you'd want them for.
Most of what North America calls 'hot' and 'spicy' is so NOT. A shame, really, that our collective palate is so boring that we need to load everything with fat, salt and sugar.

SandyM

Chilli hot chocolate

Post by SandyM » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Ahem. I'm not boring. Well maybe a little. But when it comes to food I like singular flavours and mild. Us boring people created perogies. You can thank me later.

(I just being cheeky. A bit)

Return to “Favourite Recipes”