About those beans ....

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: About those beans ....

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:42 am

I freeze mine open and then vac pack. Forgot to mention that!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:05 am

labradors wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:47 pm
WLLady wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:01 am
There is another option though, which is to let them dry on the plants. Pick them, remove from the pods, and then plan on cooking with them (after an overnight soak). If I remember, I use maybe a handful or two in a soup over the winter. I also end up with TONS of beans for growing the following year, and if I want to bake some pastry blind, I will be all set :).
Linda
WLLady wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:01 am
heres an outside the box idea...bean flour...dry them on the bushes and the grind to flour?

My goodness you people are ambitious, I have become somewhat reckless making been salad, I now throw everything else in it today's salad has yellow cherry tomatoes and carrots, you can hardly see the beans...;)
rest is frozen, we will see how that turns out, compost is always a possibility

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:58 pm

The end of my bean story, 8 cups frozen, no way will I ever use any more, I may have enough courage for maybe 2 more bean salads, but that seems to use less and less beans ;) and then I plan to ignore the bush, I no longer remember what is under it :)
Been salad.jpg
Been bush.jpg
Attachments
Beens & tomatoes.jpg

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:49 pm

I grow 3 varieties of beans every year..Blue Coco, Hannah Hank and Dragons Tongue...the latter being a wax bush bean...i built a bean arbor this year with a wire arched top spanning two adjacent raised bed boxes..this way I ( or more likely, MJ) could walk underneath and thru the arch ( btw 10 ' long) and pick the hanging beans within...worked like a charm...waaayyyyyy more fresh beans than we coukd eat..almost enough for a roadside veggie stand, yeah right....no time for that nonsense...last year I collected the dried beans still on the plants when i put the garden to bed and shelled the beans and stored them...lots for seed and MJ tried them in recipes thruthe winter....awesome outcome..will be repeating this year altho Kathy's bean flour comment is intriguing...will have to look into that :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Well, used for the first time, frozen without blanching, or any other processing, thrown in the boiling water for couple minutes and the aded to a casserole taste just like fresh without loosing colour.

Happy I have them, not enough to do it again ;)

The Swiss Chard on the other hand has been a real winner, although a pain to process, well worth the trouble, no need to buy spinach this winter :)
Swiss Chard puffs.jpg

Return to “Favourite Recipes”