BEETS!

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

BEETS!

Post by Happy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:50 pm

I personally find beets to be very under-rated on the favorite veggie list but I also understand why. They are a bit of a pain because they take so long to cook and stain everything. I love them anyways! I have a favorite beet salad recipe that I will share below but wondering if anyone has other beet recipes to share.
Aside from boiled or roasted with butter, Harvard or pickeled I haven't experimented much.

4 medium beets - scrubbed, trimmed and cut in half
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 (10 ounce) package mixed baby salad greens (I use spinach)
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 ounces goat cheese

Directions
Place beets into a saucepan, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender. Drain and cool, then cut in to cubes.
While the beets are cooking, place the walnuts in a skillet over medium-low heat. Heat until warm and starting to toast, then stir in the maple syrup. Cook and stir until evenly coated, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make the dressing.
Place a large helping of baby greens onto each of four salad plates, divide candied walnuts equally and sprinkle over the greens. Place equal amounts of beets over the greens, and top with dabs of goat cheese. Drizzle each plate with some of the dressing.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: BEETS!

Post by Jaye » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Sounds yummy! Will have to try this out soon. Just need to buy some goat cheese because it looks like I have everything else on hand.

I just finished putting up some beets to ferment a few nights ago.

I also saw a recipe for roasted beet chips that I would like to try, since I have a pretty big crop of beets this year that need to be stored somehow.

Roasted beet chips:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thin slice a few beets (enough to fill a medium-sized bowl with some space left over to allow mixing). Sprinkle with a few teaspoons of Himalayan or sea salt and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, then add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of coconut oil (or avocado oil, or any oil with a high smoke point). Toss everything together, then place the beet chips in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes, flip them all over and bake for another 10 minutes, or until they look slightly browned on the edges. Let them cool, stick them in a jar and refrigerate until you're ready to use them. they keep for quite a while. You can eat them as is, or add to salads or as a side with meals.
Last edited by Jaye on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:29 pm

If you don't care for the staining and end results there are yellow beets. We planted them this year for the first time and they seem to taste the same. My wife really prefers them now.
My favourite way is fresh boiled with plenty butter and salt or sweet pickled.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:28 pm

I love beets!
I like them pickled, roasted, and am particularly fond of borscht.
The way my family makes borscht is like a vegetable soup - pork hock base, beets, cabbage, any other vegetables from the garden, vinegar to taste - usually about 1 tbsp (brings out the flavour of everything), and heavy cream just before serving (not overheated).

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:42 pm

I love beets but DH, who is half Polish, is allergic to them!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:42 pm
I love beets but DH, who is half Polish, is allergic to them!
Didn't know you can be allergic to beets and I know you are an excellent cook, so can't be that... ;)

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:23 am

We have been regularly pickling beets for the last 5 or 6 years. We usually do about 30 to 40 pounds and usually go through them within the year! Love them!

Cheers Karen

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:20 am

Our garden did real well this year even with the elongated drought but just as the beets, chard and bush beans started, our friendly night visiting venison on four legs decidied that it was a fresh salad and cropped thenm off at the ground...it took forever but they came back but there wasn't enough time for proper beets so its teeny tiny baby beets and greens this year...delish but nothing for the winter...I don't hunt but I just may start :sAng_banghead:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Favourite Recipes”