Lactic Acid bacteria spray

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Lactic Acid bacteria spray

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Here is an article and recipe for lactic acid bacteria spray. Useful to kill odours of poop, ammonia, keep flies down, as an aid to composting, and to improve soil, among other things
Note: if you leave it too long, the bacteria run out of food and die off, and you just basically have vinegar. Without live culture, it doesn't work.
sa-8.pdf
(576.88 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Lactic Acid bacteria spray

Post by Jaye » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks, @windwalkingwolf ! Your post from way back when is what got me going down this LAB road.

The recipe I have been using is pretty much the same as yours ...
I sometimes cheat a bit in order to have it last a bit longer: I feed it a little bit of molasses from time to time. Just to keep it active.

LAB ferment
Ingredients
For 1.5 L of LAB:
Organic Brown Rice 200g, Organic Sea Salt 15g,
Organic Brown Sugar 45g, Mineral Water 1500ml.
Tools
Scale or Measuring Spoon, Bowl, Funnel, Plastic Bottle.
If you have a strainer, you can use it as well.
Instructions
Pour out 750ml of water from the bottle, and put all ingredients in that same bottle. Shake it well, scratching the surface of the rice. Pour the other 750ml of water back into the bottle.
When the bottle is full, shake the bottle well. This is the end of the process for day 1 of LAB fermentation.
From 2nd day forward, release the gas and shake well 2-3 times per day until the fermentation process is done. Keep the bottle somewhere away from direct sunlight at 20-30 degrees C.
Check the smell and taste of LAB from 3rd or 4th day, and it should be getting progressively sourer. After the 5th day, LAB should be sparkling, should have less color and a sour taste.
On around the 7th day, LAB is ready to use! This means that Acid by LAB has been produced. You can also check the acid level with a pH paper strip. When the pH level is less than 3.6 (or it tastes quite sour), LAB is ready. If the temperature is lower than 20 degrees C, the fermentation process might take from 10-14 days to be ready.
Store LAB in a cool place, out of direct sunlight, or in the fridge. Pour some into a spray bottle to use.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Favourite Recipes”