Mr Bean makes Cranberry sauce!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Mr Bean makes Cranberry sauce!

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:22 pm

I always joke that my life is like an episode of Mr Bean. I decided to try the cranberry sauce recipe. Actually at first I thought they were too expensive at $10 for a little bag but I got fresh ones at $2.50 a bag.

I put in all my ingredients and slowly bring to a boil, they started popping like everyone says they should, everything is going along nicely, I'm stirring occasionally. I turn my back for a minute as I am also doing dishes and ffffffffshushhhhh, I turn around and the sauce has completely foamed up and is boiling out all over the stove, that's not the worst part, the sugar is burning and smoking like wet hay on fire, the entire kitchen is filled instantly with clouds of smoke, alarms going off. I am trying to wipe up the smoking sauce but it is hardening like candy on the burners causing a constant stream of smoke. I close the doors to the rest of the house and have to open the door to the outside, turning on the ceiling fan to help clear it out. Keeping in mind that the temperature yesterday was falling, I think it was close to -20 when this cranberry caper was unfolding. My neighbour came just as things were getting under control, she was kinda laughing at me but at least had some empathy saying she had a similar jam explosion once. Regarding all the helpful tips everyone on here gave me, NOBODY WARNED ME THAT COULD HAPPEN!!! Lol

I finished cooking what was left and it wasn't that bad.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Mr Bean makes Cranberry sauce!

Post by TomK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Well, Skinny..we can't tell you (dramatic drawl here) EVERYTHiNG....that just isn't on... :running-chicken: ..the stuff in the pot is always ok...its the boil over that makes the burnt mess...not quite as bad as a batch of burnt syrup in the pan but close.. roflmbo
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Oh poor you, I feel your pain, what a mess!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:22 pm
I always joke that my life is like an episode of Mr Bean. I decided to try the cranberry sauce recipe. Actually at first I thought they were too expensive at $10 for a little bag but I got fresh ones at $2.50 a bag.

I put in all my ingredients and slowly bring to a boil, they started popping like everyone says they should, everything is going along nicely, I'm stirring occasionally. I turn my back for a minute as I am also doing dishes and ffffffffshushhhhh, I turn around and the sauce has completely foamed up and is boiling out all over the stove, that's not the worst part, the sugar is burning and smoking like wet hay on fire, the entire kitchen is filled instantly with clouds of smoke, alarms going off. I am trying to wipe up the smoking sauce but it is hardening like candy on the burners causing a constant stream of smoke. I close the doors to the rest of the house and have to open the door to the outside, turning on the ceiling fan to help clear it out. Keeping in mind that the temperature yesterday was falling, I think it was close to -20 when this cranberry caper was unfolding. My neighbour came just as things were getting under control, she was kinda laughing at me but at least had some empathy saying she had a similar jam explosion once. Regarding all the helpful tips everyone on here gave me, NOBODY WARNED ME THAT COULD HAPPEN!!! Lol

I finished cooking what was left and it wasn't that bad.
Well, SR, it's not all your fault: in my experience, men as a rule, aren't great at multi-tasking. 100% attention to the task at hand works best. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 pm

roflmbo
Oh, by the way SR, sugar syrup can foam over :D
I actually rather like the smell of burnt sugar, probably an acquired taste, as I've been known to have the occasional teeny tiny accident myself.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Post by Skinny rooster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 pm
roflmbo
Oh, by the way SR, sugar syrup can foam over :D
I actually rather like the smell of burnt sugar, probably an acquired taste, as I've been known to have the occasional teeny tiny accident myself.

:doh: Now you tell me!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 am

"Well, SR, it's not all your fault: in my experience, men as a rule, aren't great at multi-tasking. 100% attention to the task at hand works best. ;-)" Jaye

Men? multi task? I'll have you know that noone can chew gum and drive as well as I can!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:22 am

At least you got some out of it!

It’s similar to coming home several weeks ago and finding the house full of smoke, the doors open and my stepson making Yorkshire pudding! It took me the a good part of the next day to get the oil out of the oven...but they were good!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 am

I must admit that I've burnt my fair share of garlic bread under the broiler while trying to quickly get some dishes out of the sink lol. I give you credit for making your own but I imagine cleaning that stove was NOT FUN!

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:26 pm

That's a bummer, but don't feel bad Skinny rooster. I did the same thing last night. I still don't have the stove completely cleaned. Mind you I didn't have smoke all in the house. This is not the first time it has happened to me, but the previous times it didn't over boil, but I ended up with a burnt pot. That's all I did was go to do something for a minute. This time it didn't burn in the pot though. I better not let it happen again.

Return to “Favourite Recipes”