Cabbage rolls - saudi arabian spicing

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Cabbage rolls - saudi arabian spicing

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:15 pm

I adapted this from a Martha Stewart recipe where it has no meat and is a side dish for lamb. 'tis the cabbage season here! It is not hot, just spiced and fragrant. We loved it.
Filling
I lb ground pork
I cup cooked basmati rice
1/3 cup currants - toasted in oil to puff up slightly
Spices - 2 tbsp. cumin seed, 1 tbsp. whole coriander, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, 2 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns. Toast the spices in a pan then grind well.
Cook the ground pork and spices together until the pork is cooked through. Add the rice and currants and mix well in. Salt to taste.
Prep your cabbage leaves as normal - this made 10 rolls

Line a large slow cooker with cabbage leaves and place the cabbage rolls inside. Your liquid is a can of tomatoes in juice with a little chicken or vegetable stock added. Pour in the tomatoes and cover the rolls with more cabbage leaves.

Slow cook on high for about an hour then turn down to low for 3 to 4 hrs. Serve with sour cream or yoghourt.

I'm going to use the rice mixture without pork as a filling for lamb brisket roll, the flavour will work well.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Cabbage rolls - saudi arabian spicing

Post by Jaye » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Sounds yummy!!!, and if it's not hot, hubby might like it. I wonder if I can modify it to "lazy cabbage roll" style (where I just chop up the cabbage and add it to the pork mix) and use the crock pot out in the garage? It's just too darned hot to cook indoors ATM. Sushi tonight - a special treat, because it was on sale.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Oh, sounds delicious!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Does sound good!