LIFE OF eating PIE.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:38 pm

On baby seals: my mother eats seal meat. I couldn't get past the colour (black) to try it, but I would have NO problem making pie from rendered seal blubber :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Up north they are running into vit D deficiency because the diets have been "improved" by modern foods and they don't eat as much seal liver. Response is to send up Vit D supplements for the kids.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:57 am

Outports of Newfoundland and Labrador, same thing. The traditional seal hunt is heavily frowned upon and disrupted/ protested by PETA and Greenpeace, so many don't bother any more...And they are not allowed to fish for cod at all, can't even cast a line off a wharf, or risk losing everything, so no vitamin D from cod liver, either.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:54 am

Must admit I have memories of having to take that spoonful of cod liver oil every day - ugh!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by TomK » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 am

Gotta love how we get from using lard in pie to the seal hunt in NFLD..lmao....on a related tack, saw a post on FB about the ten most to be avoided foods from China...cod, tilapia, green peas (go figure), apples, garlic amongst other stuff....omg! The pollution levels and non existent controls on pesticides and outright food fraud...been saying all along...if its from China, leave it in the store...buy local...buy local...buy local... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by goatgal35 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:50 am

Lard, butter, some good olive and coconut oil are the only oils in our home. That said, if you think of all the bad stuff stored in the fat of any mammal I would never consider eating lard from a grocery store. Only fat from organically, pasture raised Piggies gets rendered here.
My Mom bought a pound of " pure lard" from the grocery store and forgot about it. It sat in the back of her kitchen cupboard for two years. After two years it looked and smelled the same as it did when she bought it. In my opinion, real pure lard doesn't keep for two years on a shelf.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 am

TomK wrote:QR_BBPOST ten most to be avoided foods from China...cod, tilapia, green peas (go figure), apples, garlic amongst other stuff....omg! The pollution levels and non existent controls on pesticides and outright food fraud...been saying all along...if its from China, leave it in the store...buy local...buy local...buy local... :running-chicken:
Well, that reminds me of an interview with a large wholesaler, who when asked how can they source such large quantities of "Organic" Peas"
He said they grow them in China, but under strict controls...remember laughing out loud!!!
Yes and since we are on the seal fat, the levels of chemicals are now too high and stored in the fat, it's just as well they don't eat it.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by kenya » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Peas from China? You've got to be kidding, you mean I have to check those packages too? Ahhhh

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Good thing to always check the ingredient list on packaging, as my husband and I have discovered that they do change.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by thegawd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:39 pm

I check where the product came from before checking the ingredient list, sometimes this saves some reading n time. The other day I was looking at 3 different frozen veggies in the same packaging. All were made in different countries, one Canada, one Mexico and the other said made in Canada while it also said product of China. Hmmmmmmm no thanks keep walking.

:-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Favourite Recipes”