LIFE OF eating PIE.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by ross » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Knew a fella once who quit cigarettes , booze , slow women , fast cars & good tasting /fast food . Doc said he'd live longer . He said wasn't sure of that but sure as well did feel like it . Lol Luck
Everything in moderation including moderation .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Maximus

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Maximus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Any recipe I make that calls for Lard I replace in equal
Amounts of butter. I have not used yard or 'crisco (which is only soy) in about 10 or more years.

Butter will give you a wonderful flaky pastry!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 am

Soft margarine and canola are the work of the devil!!!!!! don't use them! Those seminars are marketing symposia to push certain companies products. I used to work for company that made those vile egg white cartons and egg beaters. They have to put chemicals in them and had problems with bacterial contamination. Interestingly many of us when doing Chemo got weird cravings for salt and were told by the nurses to use more salt because on checking our blood levels it was too low esp with the amount of fluid you use.
There was a study too that showed that 50%? of falls involving seniors were because there was an electrolyte imbalance showing sodium was too low and leading to dizziness and fainting.
Rant over!
BTW muffin I need the pie crust recipe with the almond flour because I have guests coming in a week and Brenda is gluten intolerant (quite badly)
Last edited by Killerbunny on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by WLLady » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:32 am

I love cooking with lard. Lol but rarely manage to get any because i forget.....
We mostly use unsalted butter. No margarine. And no seals were harmed for the making of this post ;-)
I tried gluten free and my recipes were ok but i dont have the time to experiment...
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

G Williams
On the Roost

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by G Williams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 am

K2 Milling in Beeton (Mark Hayhoe) has all kinds of flours and amendments. Lots of Gluten Free. All milled on site. After I brought home some Pastry flour my wife has never used All Purpose again.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST oft margarine and canola are the work of the devil!!!!!! don't use them! Those seminars are marketing symposia to push certain companies products
:)
Not that naive, actually the seminar was on smart aging for women.
Speaker was Elizabeth Rigley BSc, MHS, RN, autor of "Smart aging for women" preventing heart disease.
Since I am not about to change my diet at this late stage, it's probably way too late for me ;) but knowledge is power and I like power.:)
The only way I will ever cut my fat intake in half is if I eat half portions, probably not a completely worthless idea, but I am a bit shocked by our salt intake, even after being completely under the impression I use very little salt.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:49 pm

KB, here is a recipe for the GF Almond Flour pie crust. You can make it plain without the cinnamon or vanilla extract. I make mine right in my pie pan with no need to use a bowl.

https://www.thespruce.com/gluten-free-a ... rt-2254865

Killerbunny

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST oft margarine and canola are the work of the devil!!!!!! don't use them! Those seminars are marketing symposia to push certain companies products
:)
Not that naive, actually the seminar was on smart aging for women.
Speaker was Elizabeth Rigley BSc, MHS, RN, autor of "Smart aging for women" preventing heart disease.
Since I am not about to change my diet at this late stage, it's probably way too late for me ;) but knowledge is power and I like power.:)
The only way I will ever cut my fat intake in half is if I eat half portions, probably not a completely worthless idea, but I am a bit shocked by our salt intake, even after being completely under the impression I use very little salt.
The other thing is that Europe has brought back higher salt levels again. There are different levels for different risk profiles too. Sadly Canada lags way behind again. Another thought is that cutting back on salt only helps those who are salt sensitive for eg High BP. Yet again dieticians jumped on the bandwagon. Not worried about you OC but a friends wife went totally nuts on the diet stuff after a seminar at the hospital, unbelievable the amount of misinformation out there.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 pm

muffin57 wrote:QR_BBPOST KB, here is a recipe for the GF Almond Flour pie crust. You can make it plain without the cinnamon or vanilla extract. I make mine right in my pie pan with no need to use a bowl.

https://www.thespruce.com/gluten-free-a ... rt-2254865
Thx muffin!
Mutt chickens for eggs

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Killerbunny you are probably already aware, but just incase be careful of any cross contamination when preparing gf foods for people with allergies. That is why it is very rare for me to eat out.

Return to “Favourite Recipes”