LIFE OF eating PIE.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Shortening is basically margarine. Yuck. Lard or butter! Never tried coconut oil, but should work great if you cut it in cold.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:04 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST Mmmm any kind of pies. But we're gluten free so our pie crusts are quite different. I dont know anything about how she does it but it sure is good! :-D
I make mine gluten free Al, using gluten free flours.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:07 pm

I use tenderflake. I did used grated pork kidney fat at one point. I will not use Crisco because the results were ****.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST Shortening is basically margarine. Yuck. Lard or butter! Never tried coconut oil, but should work great if you cut it in cold.
My almond flour and coconut oil pie crust is just like a graham crumb crust. The oil doesn't have to be cold and is just pressed into the pie pan. Delicious!

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:22 pm

My mom always said 'Tenderflake makes the best pie crust'. That's why when I had to go gluten free, I had to learn how to make my pie crust again. Gluten free pie crust recipes were a challenge to say the least and didn't taste as good. It was a frustrating learning experience, but I didn't give up and I learned to use my same old recipe off of the tenderflake lard package, but to use less flour. I use a gluten free all purpose flour.

tcamp
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by tcamp » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Funny this topic comes up now...just after I bought a whole bunch of lard to fill my deep fryer with (cause it makes the best french fries and donuts) and to bake with...as far as I am concerned, lard is your friend...use it and enjoy!! Too many fad diets these days that leave people even more unhealthy than they were...the secret to a good life is real food...less sugar...and coffee...mmmm coffee! Coffee goes great with lard pie...oh and whipping cream, we need some of that too! Yeah.
Last edited by tcamp on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:04 pm

I've learned to make whip cream for my pies using canned coconut milk. For recipes that call for sugar I use coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup. I try to eat healthy.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by thegawd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Im guna get Lizzie in on this thread.... shes the master cook around here. We used to buy a gluten free flour from bulk barn but now she makes her own with different gluten free flours from the grocery store and mixes it together. Its much cheaper for us. But ya relearning to bake gluten free took some time she has perfected a bunch of recipes that you wouldnt know was gluten free.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Yes, I did a lot of crying, as I was a good cook and everyone loved eating here and we did a lot of entertaining. I would make all the food and always received a lot of compliments. I didn't realize that a lot of what I was eating was killing me. I had a few disasters with gluten free cooking and baking, not that I have mastered it, but I sure have come a long way and consider myself a pretty good cook once again, as do others. People can't even tell that it's gluten dairy free food, as you say.

I haven't made my own all purpose flour yet. I have made all purpose flour from other people's recipes though. It does save money. I like Cuisine Solei flour from Quebec, but I do use Bob's Red Mill too, depending on what I am making. I order from Well.ca when it is on sale. I would like Lizzie's recipe to try. I just find that you need different all purpose flours depending on what you are making.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:06 pm

Skinny rooster wrote:QR_BBPOST Ok I'm starting to feel better about maybe buying lard, however I have this awful sense that any second now OC, WLLady or Al is going to come here screaming stop because lard is made out of baby seals that were used to clean up oil spills resulting in such trauma that I will spend the rest of the winter eat raw carrots in my rootcellar! Lol, no offense to those three cause you're way smarter than me!
:) I am totally letting that pass this time, just read thru a DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension) helpfully handed at a seminar.
In general terms it basically eliminates from your diet all the enjoyable and delicious things and replaces them with things like soft margarine, canola oil, fat free everything and egg whites.
So although it may help you live longer, you may not want to....;)

Return to “Favourite Recipes”