LIFE OF eating PIE.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:26 pm

No laughing at me but I am actually not bad at baking things, not that I enjoy baking, mostly I enjoy eating fresh baked things! Lately when I want to make a pie or tarts, I get the already made shells; however they are so gross now, I think they are just flower, water and some nuclear waste pressed into pans. I want to make a shell the old way but it asks for lard, I don't eat that much meat anymore so I don't have a collection of lard. I see lard in the stores and here is my question, what "is" it, there is no information on the box, does it come from pork as usual or processed from something that I can't pronounce. I don't want to use shortening because they are now saying shortening is ten times the bad fat as butter or lard has. :lunch:

Suggestions, opinions or information please, thank you.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by TomK » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Skinny...technically if it says pure lard on the package it can only be rendered pork fat..out of any portion of the pig that has adequate adipose tissue...although with the lack of confidence i have in Health Canada and its willingness to side with corporate interests i am always dubious...but pure lard is the only way to go with a pie..everything else is total crapola :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm

TomK wrote:QR_BBPOST Skinny...technically if it says pure lard on the package it can only be rendered pork fat..out of any portion of the pig that has adequate adipose tissue...although with the lack of confidence i have in Health Canada and its willingness to side with corporate interests i am always dubious...but pure lard is the only way to go with a pie..everything else is total crapola :running-chicken:
Tom, lol I'm with you buddy, I don't trust anything the food industry says anymore, my fear is there is a loophole somewhere that says you can call some chemical goop lard as well. I grew suspicious, why couldn't they say lard from pork products or something like that, or what if it's 10% pork lard and 90% something something something. I just want a homemade pie.

:sighke1:

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:54 pm

I have always used Tenderflake Lard, so I decided to check the ingredients, as you got me curious. Tenderflake is not the only way I make pie crust, as many times in the past few years I make it using almond flour and coconut oil. I like the lard when making a batch of pies or squares. Lard makes such a nice flaky crust. I have never seen or noticed pure lard, but I will now be looking for pure lard. I guess one could purchase pig fat and render it down.

Tenderflake lard ingredients: Lard, BHA, BHT, Citric Acid
BHA and BHT are food additives used to preserve food. Used in moderation is considered safe and is used in many foods including butter.

Here is a quote from the link posted below...

Here's a hint: It's a preservative, and you can find it in (drum roll, please): potato chips, lard, butter, cereal, instant mashed potatoes, preserved meat, beer, baked goods, dry beverage and dessert mixes, chewing gum, and other foods. Oh, also: rubber, petroleum products, and, of course, wax food packaging.

http://www.livescience.com/36424-food-a ... isole.html

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Ok I'm starting to feel better about maybe buying lard, however I have this awful sense that any second now OC, WLLady or Al is going to come here screaming stop because lard is made out of baby seals that were used to clean up oil spills resulting in such trauma that I will spend the rest of the winter eat raw carrots in my rootcellar! Lol, no offense to those three cause you're way smarter than me!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by thegawd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:38 pm

:rofl: roflmbo :dunno: I dont know anything about lard or much about cooking. Im a fire cooker though. :-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Do you like eating pie Al? Meat pies or fruit pies? Just cooked on the fire? lol

muffin57
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by muffin57 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Actually on the Tenderflake Lard package it does say 'PURE LARD'.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by Brebis » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 pm

We used to get lard from the pigs we had butchered at our local abbitoir. They would trim all the fat from the hog and render it in a big kettle they had on the corner of their cutting room. They packed it into 1 quart plastic tubs and we would freeze it until we needed it. It was great stuff and didn't need the preservatives to keep it from going rancid. If you didn't want the lard they always had other customers who would take it.

Haven't done a hog like that in many years so don't know if they do it any more, but if you do have a local butcher near they may still do it and have some for sale.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

LIFE OF eating PIE.

Post by thegawd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Mmmm any kind of pies. But we're gluten free so our pie crusts are quite different. I dont know anything about how she does it but it sure is good! :-D
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Favourite Recipes”