Question Coconut Butternut Squash Soup???

Maximus

Coconut Butternut Squash Soup???

Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 am

I'm missing my creamy butternut squash soup. I don't drink dairy for almost 2 years now and I have always made it with milk.

I don't use soy milk or nut milks. Soy because no one should and nuts because of allergies. I hate rice milk. Gag!! Coconut milk is what I bake with and other than that I don't really drink 'milk' substitutes. (Except coconut for the occasional bowl of organic oats for breaky).

Think I can use coconut milk? It's unsweetened. I'm a bit worried about the clash of flavours. Thoughts?

Cheers!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:56 pm

My husband uses coconut milk , tastes great.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:23 pm

kenya wrote:QR_BBPOST My husband uses coconut milk , tastes great.
Now I'm excited!!! Thank you!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:16 pm

I don't know about coconut juice, but it sounds like it would be good. I've used pureed avocado, it's very yummy and SO creamy. I'm not a huge fan of squashes, they need oomph.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 am

I love squash and could eat every day. Today is squash soup day so maybe I'll have a new favourite recipe to post or maybe I'll be hungry. Time will tell.

muffin57
Chatty Hen

Post by muffin57 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:16 pm

I can't have dairy, so I use canned coconut milk in place of cream for cooking and baking. It is delicious. You can use it for pumpkin pie and dairy free whip cream too. Yummy!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Yum! I baked the squash and then ate it. Didn't make it into soup form :(
I'll try again on the weekend.

I don't like whip cream, but good to know for pumpkin pie!!!! I don't usually add milk, just an extra egg and butter. Next pumpkin pie I shall try!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 am

Do you eat bacon at all Sandy? If so save bacon fat and sautee off the squash in it. Then add your stock and puree. Vian does not like squash and last time I did it this way he said - "I was expecting it to taste horrible but this is great" Oh Thanks! I'm going to try it with the coconut milk and maybe cumin or something.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:52 am

Killerbunny wrote:QR_BBPOST Do you eat bacon at all Sandy? If so save bacon fat and sautee off the squash in it. Then add your stock and puree. Vian does not like squash and last time I did it this way he said - "I was expecting it to taste horrible but this is great" Oh Thanks! I'm going to try it with the coconut milk and maybe cumin or something.
I used to be a bacon-ator!! But I can't stomach it anymore, so very seldom it gets made and usually just for Cesar salad if company is coming over, or a few pieces on homemade pizza.

When I make mine I put cinnamon sticks and grate nutmeg in it while it is on low simmer. But cumin! Mmmmmm with coconut. Sheesh! I gotta try this!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 am

Oh and I make a ginger sour cream mixture and drop in the centre of the bowl with freshly grated nutmeg. To die for!

Return to “Favourite Recipes”