No Fuss. No knead. Homemade Boules of Bread

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:52 am

It can't get any easier. And yes I said NO KNEADING!!!

Trust me on this, try it, you'll never buy bread again it so easy AND versatile.

3 cups AP Flour
1 3/4-2 cups of water
Splash of olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp of quick rise yeast

***Cast iron with lids is required***
image.jpeg

12-18 hrs before you need the bread, mix all dry in bowl. (Min. of 12 hours is needed) Add water and stir with spatula until the flour is completely wet and a bit soggy. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit on counter. That's it until baking. I usually make after dinner for next mornings baking.
image.jpeg
Yup, this is what it looks like. Hot shaggy mess. Stay with me.

In the morning, or after your 12 hr period you'll have a gassy wet ball of dough that has risen beautifully.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lay out a cheese cloth (keep the plastic wrap) and covered in flour. A good dose of flour. Cover your spatula in flour and as gently as possible remove the hot mess from the bowl onto your floured surface. Cover the dough in flour and gently shape into a circle. Use a good amount of flour, the dough should feel silky to handle.

Cut the dough into 4 equal parts.
image.jpeg
Take the corners of your now 4 triangles and tuck under to reshape into bowls. Handle gently, the less gass escaping the better. Dust with flour and lay plastic wrap in top. Don't press or seal, your dough will absorbs some flour and you don't want stickiness.
image.jpeg
Turn oven to 450. Place cast iron with lids into oven and let heat during warm up and for 20 - 30 mins after 450 is reached. Take out cast iron, place 2 boules into each pot, put lids on, put back in oven and make a coffee. You've got 30 minutes till check in.

At the 30 mins mark remove lids and bread should resemble this colour and size.
image.png
Cook for 15 more minutes uncovered. Turn oven off and leave for another 5-7 minutes. Remove from cast iron and place in racks to dry.
Your results will amaze you because of how simple it is. The crust is thick, crunchy and crumbly, the bread inside is airy and some density to it. It's old school bread, not light and fluffy, but serious hard core bread lovers bread. Yup! It's that good.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Maximus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:57 am

It's very versatile. You can add ingredients while you prepare for delish variations.

One of my favourites is adding:
Lemon rind
Chopped fresh rosemary
Gouda

Just mix it in and leave on counter.

Another variation is:
Orange rind
Dried cranberries
Sunflower seeds (most people add walnuts, but we are nut/peanut free)

I also use the same recipe and make sandwhich buns, so instead of cutting into 4 I cut into 8 and reduce the initial cooking time to 20-25 mins and follow remainder of cooking instructions, as is.

Because of the structure of the bread they are excellent soup/chilli bowls. Huge hit with company. They assume your magical. Hahahah.

Tonight we are having potato leak soup for dinner (and carrots, cauliflower, celery etc) and will put shredded cheese in the bread bowls before putting soup in, and cheese on top of soup with the heart of the loaf for dipping into the soup.
image.jpeg
Soups on!!!
Last edited by Maximus on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Looks good. It is the right weather for homemade bread and soup.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Love that recipe, it was started about 10 years ago in New York, apparently first time there was a significant new recipe in bread making.
For somebody with arthritic fingers, the only way to make bread, good post. :)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST Love that recipe, it was started about 10 years ago in New York, apparently first time there was a significant new recipe in bread making.
For somebody with arthritic fingers, the only way to make bread, good post. :)
Yup and it's a huge hit at home and honestly you just can't screw it up. It's hardy and incredibly versatile which I love!! I have left it for over 18 hrs before, you know how it is, things come up etc., and it still was amazing bread. I've changed it a bit, for my own liking, increase yeast a tad and added olive oil, but the foundation is masterful!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:28 pm

I also increased the yeast and even use the same pan :)
Ended up writing down a time line when to start the doug, so I would have fresh bread next day in the aft,
and found I can start the dough in the evening during a TV commercial, doesn't get much easier than that !

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:38 pm

We've been making it for quite a few years now. It's so simple my DH loves to make it and can't mess it up!

Only problem I find with it is the gooey, floured tea towel that needs to be washed after! I'm also not fond of playing with very hot heavy cast iron pots, so be careful. Otherwise, it's a great bread recipe and highly recommended!

Thanks for reminding me about it just may have to make some this weekend....
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:27 pm

Late lunch? Early dinner? Does it matter? Nope! Good for the soul
image.jpeg

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:49 pm

OM NOM NOM NOM. I wonder what happens if it's baked in an enamelled pot instead? I have cast iron but in severe need of reconditioning

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Would you get the Dutch oven effect? I believe that is what makes this bread work.

Return to “Favourite Recipes”