Strange Homemade Jam

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 am

OK, bit long winded here, but please bear with me.

Growing up, I helped mom make jam. We never got store bought jam, picked berries and fruit and made our own. Way better flavor than you can get in even good store jams and jellies. Choke cherry was a favorite, not made commercially; Saskatoon and gooseberry, strawberry and raspberry were our staples.

Got married the first time, wife said she wasn't going to put in the effort, so I said I would be the jam maker. And I have got to be pretty good at it. I have tried jams and jellies and pancake syrup out of just about anything that grows and piques my interest. Some didn't really work, like watermelon is sweet red stuff with almost no flavor, won't bother with it again.

So I moved to Ontario, lots of new fruits and things to try making jam from. And I have had some OK, some not so OK, but I found one that is really a great zesty fruit flavor. Made from a commonly growing fruit here, that I have never had at anyone's house or commercially. And when we have company or I give jars of it away, I won't tell what its made from until they have guessed what it might be. So far, no one has guessed right.

So Kathy, Wwlady, gave me some hatching eggs, and I gave her a jar to try. This morning, she said she liked it, that it was good, and guessed wrong. (Chortle chortle, I knew it!) So now its time to tell her what it is. Well, I can't give everyone on the forum a taste, but I can post some pictures. And Ask Kathy to chime in and tell what it tasted like and her guesses. See if anyone else has a guess.

I will send anyone that wants it the recipe after they have guessed at it, but I wont post here what its made of. I will send the on the PM on this site. I would like it of no one here tells on the site what it is. Keep it our little secret. Shared not in public, but by PM on the site.

So let the guessing begin. This should be fun.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:10 am

IMG_0208.JPG
THE MYSTERY JAM.
This batch didn't set very well, but that is what it looks like.
IMG_0207.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by thegawd » Tue May 17, 2016 10:16 am

HAHAHA sounds delicious! Lizzie made grape jam, not jelly a couple weeks ago and it tasted awesome. hmmmm I love Jam! hmmm Apple Raspberry? mmmm that would be good!

Hey Farrier I have a Saskatoon Berry Bush here, luckily it survived the move. Im trying to clone it but i dont think its working. if it does work though i'll hook you up! otherwise I can save you some berries to plant.

:beer:
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 17, 2016 10:28 am

I had a wonderful wild plum here but it died last year. (Black knot). Tasted like the UK damson, very intense flavour, I miss it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by WLLady » Tue May 17, 2016 10:40 am

okay folks, so FYI i can't remember what i guessed...maybe ground cherries....
but i can tell ya! this jam was AMAZING!
okay, next guess, mandarin oranges.
or maybe pineapples....LOL
i haven't a clue, but it was awesome.

taste wise......it really honestly tasted like ground cherries mixed with mandarin oranges and pineapples......ha ha.
so there ya have it.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by Jaye » Tue May 17, 2016 11:15 am

It almost looks like Cloudberry jam (AKA bakeapple jam), but I don't think that grows here in Ontario, does it? I think it only grows in the East Coast provinces.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Robbie
Head Chicken

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by Robbie » Tue May 17, 2016 11:20 am

Paw paw?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 am

Quince

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:42 am

One fruit only, and common. This is so much fun.

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Strange Homemade Jam

Post by thegawd » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

I think I know it now.... my Grandmother used to make it... I wonder if I can get her over one day so we can steal all her recipes! ;-)
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Return to “Favourite Recipes”