Cardinals & Male Blue Jays been here all winter . Along with the small birds
& squirrels
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Birds in my garden

Post by WLLady » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:13 pm

ooookay......we just saw a bluebird. again. TWICE today. so i'm not imagining it. A bona fide male blue bird. In february.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:01 pm

We have at least 3 sets of Cardinals, sparrows, blackcapped chickadees, and lots of Goldfinches. Robins have been back for a couple of weeks. Morning doves...they are my clean up crew for chicken feed. Still working on squirrel proofing our bird feeders...lol

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:24 pm

cardinal.jpg
strange eh? :lol:
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:25 am

That’s quite the bald bird!
I get mostly chickadees and blue jays all winter, with the occasional red breasted nuthatch, and hairy woodpecker. I also have a few grey jays that like to pick through the old lady horse grain. They only seem to like the red morsels in it (the chickens, too!). I don’t know why, or if I want to know why!

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pm

Wow! Maybe I should move to Ontario. All there is here are wild pigeons, a great horned owl, magpies, ravens, gray partridges, sharp-tailed grouse, snow buntings, and a few sparrows. There aren't any goldfinches here until about May.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:19 pm

@Ontario Chick photo from the ROM Field Guide, Birds of Ontario. Caledon birds: dark-eyed juncos, black-capped chickadees, American crows, northern cardinals, red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatches, mourning doves, blue jays, downy woodpecker, snowy owl, brown creeper, cedar waxwings, pileated woodpecker, northern flicker, American robin, turkey, ruffed grouse, northern shrike and the big beautiful CANADA GOOSE!
bird.jpeg
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:12 pm

Mourning doves are taking over around here. They are hanging out on the woodpile on our front deck all day while we are at work. There's a feeder about 20 feet away and they are safely tucked under the over hang to be protected from hawks and out of the prevailing winds. So last Saturday morning as I yawned and stumbled my way to the livingroom this tiny head popped up on the other side of the dining room window and scared the bejesus out of me. After the initial fright my mind became convinced that I had somehow locked one of my Banties out of the coop last night and the poor thing had come to the house for help. They are close to the same size as those doves. I'm getting a bit tired of knocking their frozen poop off the logs before I shove them into the woodstove 😄.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:39 am

The squirrels have finally figured out how to get in to the "squirrel proof" bird feeder, took less then 2 weeks.
Haven't seen any mourning doves since December.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:55 am

DOes anyone else get insanely irate about misidentification of birds on the media? Last night watching the weather they show a pic at the same time. Anchor 1 " don't know what that is" ANchor 2 - male "it's a chickadee" NOT! APparently screaming at them that it's a white breasted nuthatch doesn't help! I don't care if they don't know but when they identify with authority.........
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Tweety Birds/Caged Bird Discussion”