Caged house bird recommendations?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Caged house bird recommendations?

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Thinking about it. We had a canary when I was a kid and I liked the singing. Grandparents had a budgie that would talk to them. I am not much on parrots or bigger birds caged. We are home pretty much all the time.

Anyone any thoughts on whats good or bad, what to be careful of? The floor is open, please chirp right up.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Caged house bird recommendations?

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Also cage size or selection tips and ideas. Thanks.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 am

My grandmother had a budgie; it used to play solitaire with her by flipping the cards. Many years ago, I bought a budgie as a present from me to me and had it for 10 yrs. One night, when DH was working late, I thought I heard him coming in the side door. The next day, I realized the budgie was imitating the sound of the squeaky screen door. I really liked that bird!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 am

Budgies????
I put in a link to a previous discussion. I never did end up getting any. Hope this helps.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:46 am

I've had budgies. I found that they were quite noisy at times, and fairly messy, especially if there is more than one in the cage. The style of cage affects how messy they are. I had several different kinds of finches. I liked the sound, they are usually smaller and active, they don't sing or chirp constantly, and some sound like wild birds. Because they are small they can use a smaller cage, but still fly. My friend had canaries. I thought the males sang too much for me, even though I liked the sound. Females will sing or chirp less.
Right now I have a lovebird. I like him a lot. I got him almost 11 years ago from someone who didn't want him anymore. He is hand tame (he was hand raised) but I don't take him out of the cage. I got him a fairly large cage so he can fly in it. A lot of the bird cages have shallow trays, and feed dishes that hang on the wall. I got a small animal cage that has a deep tray, and I put his dishes on the floor. Most of the mess stays in. They like to bath in water, so that can get messy. I think budgies would be less messy in this type of cage.
IMG_0222 Peep.JPG
IMG_7513.JPG
Most cage birds can live a long time. I had one finch for 19 years.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:20 pm

7ft long , 3ft deep & 5’6” high inside house . Kept 4 pr cockatiel, breeders in there with outside nest boxes . Now just one 20 yr old retired male .Lots a room to fly , play even climb in & sit down to play with him , 2 large doors & can be divided to 2 pens like phone booths . 4 sale when Mikey flys over the rainbow 🌈 bridge .
Attachments
EEAF1643-4950-44FE-BDF5-69D680672897.jpeg
9B7A4FB3-382D-4A89-8493-0D1C4D16382D.jpeg
Last edited by ross on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:11 pm

That is one awesome indoor aviary, Ross! Mikey is lucky. 30 years old seems like a pretty decent age for him. Being an indoor bird, of course, would help his longevity - but still ...
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Yep Jaye we got him 19 yrs ago . One of my bird seed customers saw him hanging around his bird feeder in summer . Caught him & brought to store to me . No band , must a got loose somehow . He never did pr up with any hens . Called him Mikey after kid on tv commercial saying “ give it to Mikey he will eat anything “ & he did he was starving . Like every critter that goes thru here he’s led a good life . Don’t breed um any more . He’s what I say last of the Mohicans . Lol

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:43 pm

We’ve got a cage just like one in KBs pic but brown for $35 & a large square one same price . Near Parkhill.

Return to “Tweety Birds/Caged Bird Discussion”