Budgies????

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Budgies????

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 am

I probably shouldn't be allowed to post in the cage bird discussion, my only experience in that department is of a my parent's canary who lived in a condo with them, and despite regular visits to a vet and a therapist (the canary not my parents) continued to chew his toes off, and really I think if I was forced to live in a condo, I might be tempted to gnaw on my toenails too ;) so didn't really blame him.
So Gill , how about a pair of those beautiful Seramas, you could interact with them while training them for Table top Competition on your dining room table while having lunch......
Before anybody starts yelling at me, To prove I am not completely heartless, I have sent Gill an e-mail of a well known cage bird breeder with a fantastic aviary in her neck of woods.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Budgies????

Post by Happy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm

I had a budgie as a teenager, "Mork"
Honestly the novelty wore off fast. I remember him being loud and somewhat annoying. This from someone who now lives with a rooster...Either my perceptions have changed or I'm just getting old and worn down lol
I like OC's suggestion! Serema's!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Budgies????

Post by ross » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Button Quail are nice house guests . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Budgies????

Post by Shnookie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:10 pm

I kept 5 button quail in the house. 3 males and 2 females. The males were flighty and kept hitting their heads on the top of the cage. Their crow was kind of cute and not too loud. I wasn't breeding them so kept them separate. The females were quite quiet, and laid every day of the year except about 5. I didn't handle them much. Do they get tame if you handle them?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Budgies????

Post by ross » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Yep like all critters when young & hand feed . I never put them in pens higher than 16" with liner inside for head pumps . There only preservation is flight & straight up like all quail . Some small brush or hideaways is good to crawl into .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Budgies????

Post by Shnookie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:31 pm

I hung some artificial spruce (used for Christmas decoration) on the side of the cage with the females. They would hide in there, and they laid their eggs behind it.

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Budgies????

Post by XBRIT » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:30 am

There are lots of tame budgies on Kijiji, some are free. check your local humane societies for owner surrenders too.

XBRIT
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Budgies????

Post by XBRIT » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:30 am

There are lots of tame budgies on Kijiji, some are free. check your local humane societies for owner surrenders too.

Microraptor
Newly Hatched Chick

Budgies????

Post by Microraptor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:13 am

have you considered lineolated/barred parakeets? a friend of mine used to breed them, theirs were very docile birds. love the voices, and imo the turquoise morphs are beautiful. i've heard of some nightmare birds but experiences were nothing but positive!

personally im more in favourite of keeping ringneck doves/pigeons, it always makes me a bit sad seeing parrots in cages..
chicken artist :rooster7:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Budgies????

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:53 am

Had to put that on hold for a while.
Don't worry - they wouldn't be in a cage a lot and any cage would be very large. I do hear you on that.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Tweety Birds/Caged Bird Discussion”