Sap is a running!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Sap is a running!

Post by WLLady » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:44 am

if you decide you want a big pan for boiling, don't buy one, have one made at a local machine shop. they can make them cheaper than buying them. but GET A TAP INSTALLED. we didn't....and the pan is big and heavy when it's full of syrup and there's only so much you can get out with a ladle. :-) hopefully we'll have a good run year soon. i didn't make enough to get through the year without buying. sigh. we go through about 2 liters...we didn't even get that off our trees, but i only tapped 5....(but should have gotten about 5 liters of syrup all told).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Sap is a running!

Post by TomK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:49 am

WWL...the weather is all over the map, no pun intended, and the sap is still good and running...i have about a gallon of syrup made so far on my inefficient setup...looking for a welding night course at the college to do Stainless Steel...can do all the other stuff and have a brake coming so ill be making my own pan..but yes, a tap on the pan is soooo needed..lol
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Sap is a running!

Post by thegawd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:06 am

I bet if I look hard enough through my FILs scrap I would be able to find something that will work. I have an extra wood stove I may be able to use. or build on from scrap.

kbaker has a sweet setup! half an oil tank turned into wood stove with stainless evaporator welded on top. oh its beautiful.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Sap is a running!

Post by TomK » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Well, believe it or not, the sap is awesome...today is the last day for collecting tho..I don't have anymore time past this weekend to boil... Hardest part is the frozen sap in the buckets... Last couple of nights have been rather crisp...Kind of annoying... Have to cart a few up to the house at a time to get them inside to thaw...but the taste and colour is remarkable...might have a bit to share this year...its all good...building a proper boiler evaporator this summer..just have to get MJ to like where I want to put it...lol...ohhhh but life is hard..
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

Sap is a running!

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat May 07, 2016 4:02 pm

I just got my syrup tasting license and as of this month no one is allowed to sell unless one of us especially trained tasters tries your syrup. Now just send a one litre sample to my home address which is 847 Mill..... what do you all mean you don't believe me, this is as legitimate as the pot smoking guy with mute Americanas!

Return to “Maple Syrup Making”