Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by WLLady » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:00 am

you can sell eggs from farmgate. no advertising except a sign at the end of your lane (and check and make sure you don't need a permit for a sign from your municipality...most don't for farms). if you process without a form 300 then they are for personal use only, and cannot leave your property. you can eat them though. you need the form 300 for meat birds to sell, but you can sell up to 300 meat birds (or any birds processed for meat like cull cockerels etc) but you CAN sell these birds. most processors now demand a form 300-even if you are just doing cull birds for home use at least in my area.

My farmgate folks know that if anyone complains publicly about eggs and not to me first wrecks it for everyone. i would rather someone talk to me first, if they get blood spots or something, and i make sure they all know that these are not candled....so blood and meat spots are a reality....they can happen. i find that people really do want farm eggs, and i only had one lady that was a little put off by a blood spot once, and we worked it out, and she is better off buying the store eggs, even though she said they don't taste as good, she really cannot handle a tiny blood spot (but she also faints with papercuts, so i can understand). i had thought about getting my form 300 for extra cockerels and stuff, but then i don't sell my chickens for food, i eat them here...i have the freezer space....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:49 am

In a lot of European countries including UK you must not wash eggs. It's safer that way. The protocols for washing are strict on temperature because the differential can cause bacteria to be sucked into the egg.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:08 pm

I think some misunderstanding must have occurred possibly in the seventies?
Do not wash eggs to keep the protective bloom, doesn't mean sell dirty eggs.
Eggs out of our nest boxes come out clean. If they aren't, there is a problem, either nesting material is dirty or inappropriate or the eggs aren't collected often enough.
That doesn't mean one should sell dirty eggs, it means the problem should be rectified.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by Epona » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Dead on On Chick.....or egg on LOL. Keep the nests clean and the eggs follow suit. I may give an egg a quick wipe w my shirt on the way back from the barn, but that's my big effort. We of course, don't sell to the public. Our overflow goes to the distant neighour to smooth over the odd time the dog gang does a number on their garbage. I do remember an acquaintance who used to sell their eggs and put them into an iodine bath. So gross. I swear I could smell it on the eggs. Take about an off putting product.

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by scottishpet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Great Info! :iheartpto:

Return to “Homesteading”