Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by goatgal35 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 am

I have been told that I can put a sign, but not to advertise and that I can not transport the eggs. They must be sold here. I can't take a dozen eggs to my MOM, she has to come and get them. Has anyone else been told this?

SandyM

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by SandyM » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:44 am

Ummm. A sign is not advertising?

Epona
Starting to Crow

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by Epona » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 am

Be careful of the processing facility in Lowbanks. They do a good job, but they change their requirements on an annual basis from number of birds they will take and the breed. They would not take my 55 last year as they weren't the "Frankenstein" birds. LOL. Took them to ENS in Elora with no hassle. The drive and day lost to getting them processed is. But I've ranted about this before. Cheers.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by baronrenfrew » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:17 am

You may sell eggs at the farm gate and must not deliver "eating eggs" to anyone. However you may deliver "hatching eggs". This is true for chicken eggs and may apply to all eggs including quail. There is a few businesses that sell eggs at farmstands and I don't know the rules there.
Advertising, I don't know.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 am

the only egg the cfia deams an egg is a chicken egg... all others are fair game to do as we wish. if we wanted to take and sell at a farmer's market it would be best to go to the local health unit and get them to print off something that says they are legal to sell uninspected.

so if all the regs are aimed at keeping us safe why do they only have regulations for chicken eggs?

“egg” means an egg of a domestic hen of the species gallus domesticus but does not include processed egg;

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/100171
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by ross » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:45 am

Cause of mass of chicken egg sales is their mandate right now & if demand for exotics rise I'm sure they will get involved in egg sales ,. This is how explained to me by health dept on on farm sales . If people come to your place they can go look at your facility's to see for self if clean / sanitary . If go to market most expect big brother to look after . Yes cracks in sytems appear & that's what laws are for if enforced . Kinda like that outfit in Australia that got caught selling cage eggs under free range conditions .
Luck
When I talked to CFIA on it they said size of market does not warrant yet but are keeping an eye . Find a small egg grader station & get graded & away yu go . Luck
Last edited by ross on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by thegawd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:49 am

eggzactly! ;-) couldnt resist! were tossing around the idea of going to a couple farmers markets with different stuff and id love to bring my quail eggs. of course I need A LOT more birds first.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by ross » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:59 am

Go to any weekly small animal auction & you will find eggs being sold & not as setting eggs either . Chicken & quail etc . Just like speeding if yur willin to pay the fine yu can do what yu want . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

JimW
Head Chicken

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by JimW » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:57 am

As people have been saying you can sell farm gate chicken eggs for eating to people if they come to your place and buy them. The only advertising you can legally do is put a sign up at your property. A lot of people advertise online, which is technically not allowed, but nothing seems to be done about it. Delivering eggs to people off your property a definite no-no.

As Ross said government only cares about chicken eggs because that is the mass market, if everyone switched to egging quail eggs, regulations would change. The rules are to protect the poorly educated mass population.

You could sell quail eggs for eating at farmer's markets, but some municipalities might have their own regulations about selling any type of ungraded eating eggs, so need to check with local health department. I personally would not bother selling any type of eating eggs at a farmers market, not worth the attention.

Back about 10 years ago when we moved back to Eastern Ontario I would go to a couple small farmers markets once in awhile. I ended up "finding" someone selling eggs at a local market, so I secretly bought a dozen. The next morning I had 2 of the eggs overeasy, the rest of the family didn't have an eggs.... a day or 2 later.... stomach cramps, vomiting.... other nasty issues for 3 or 4 days, nobody else in family sick, the only thing we did different was they did not eat the eggs. Talked to the person I bought the eggs from a few weeks later, they didn't think there was any way the eggs could have made me sick, as they said they wash all their eggs in nice COLD water after they collect them and if extra dirty they soaked them for 5 minutes!!!

My wife works for the "enemy"..... the CFIA... she tests and does research on Bovine brucellosis and TB. Our Canadian food safety and regulation system is not perfect ( in part due to lack of funding), but it is much better than many countries. From my wife I know what countries I don't want to eat from from, lol.

Some of the regulations around selling eggs, and processing animals to sell as meats, or selling unpasturized milk may make it difficult for small producers, but these regulations are designed for the majority of the population, the large masses of people in the cities, where the distribution of unregulated food products from person to person to person can create significant health risks.

From a bit of an insider look at things, my advice for anyone looking to sell eggs or meat and not following the regulations is its not worth risking messing with the CFIA to make a few dollars.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Wanted. Dead Or Alive?

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:55 am

JimW wrote:[post]10031[/

Back about 10 years ago when we moved back to Eastern Ontario I would go to a couple small farmers markets once in awhile. I ended up "finding" someone selling eggs at a local market, so I secretly bought a dozen. The next morning I had 2 of the eggs overeasy, the rest of the family didn't have an eggs.... a day or 2 later.... stomach cramps, vomiting.... other nasty issues for 3 or 4 days, nobody else in family sick, the only thing we did different was they did not eat the eggs. Talked to the person I bought the eggs from a few weeks later, they didn't think there was any way the eggs could have made me sick, as they said they wash all their eggs in nice COLD water after they collect them and if extra dirty they soaked them for 5 minutes!!!

Some of the regulations around selling eggs, and processing animals to sell as meats, or selling unpasturized milk may make it difficult for small producers, but these regulations are designed for the majority of the population, the large masses of people in the cities, where the distribution of unregulated food products from person to person to person can create significant health risks.

From a bit of an insider look at things, my advice not worth risking messing with the CFIA to make a few dollars.

JimW
I guess we all know the regulations are there for a reason and trying to get around them holds risk for both the producer and customer.
I may have a hard time erasing the image of soiled eggs soaking in water from my mind :(

Return to “Homesteading”