Wool Socks.

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Wool Socks.

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:49 am

I have worn wool socks most of my life. Growing up knit by mother and grandmother and darned when worn at the heel or toe. My grandmother would also take a pair the we would throw out these days and knit a brand new foot onto it, as the ankle wasnt worn at all. Lost art for sure, but I do darn mine til it is no longer practical. I don't darn with wool tho, I use synthetic yarns as they reinforce the worn area and don't wear a hole nearly as soon second time around.

Got into the store bought cotton and synthetics after I left home. In the Sahara dessert, wearing work boots, my feet would sweat and scald and peel. Older hand told me to get wool, like the Arabs wore. It breathes and wicks away moisture some how that other materials don't. So I have worn them most of my life.

Decent wool socks can be hard to find. I Used to buy dress wool socks from Moores and use them till they died. Would buy a dozen pair of the same colour so they never got mismatched. But over about 20% synthetic and they are not the same. Similar Work Warehouse for heavier socks, but now very difficult to find real wool, and the ones they say are Arctic warm , my feet sweat and get damp and I just don't care for them.

Catherine the Great found some decent wool socks last time she was in BC. Pure Marino wool, Fair Trade seller/manufacturer, not a bad price.Anyone is interested, here is their website.

https://blueskyclothingco.com/collectio ... ick-view-2
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Wool Socks.

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:55 am

Like my hiking socks! Very good price that.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:10 pm

I wear Alpaca wool socks very comfy & warm in winter
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:25 am

Darn it anyway.
Attachments
Darn it anyway.
Darn it anyway.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:30 pm

https://defeet.com/collections/woolie-boolie I have 3 pairs of woolie boolies and considering how they look right now I don't think I will ever buy another pair...I bought them such a long time ago I don't know how old they are...maybe 20 years ago :lol: they are expensive but they are built to last...note that I only wear them in the winter and not at work...
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

emma999
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by emma999 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:14 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:49 am
I have worn wool socks most of my life. Growing up knit by mother and grandmother and darned when worn at the heel or toe. My grandmother would also take a pair the we would throw out these days and knit a brand new foot onto it, as the ankle wasnt worn at all. Lost art for sure, but I do darn mine til it is no longer practical. I don't darn with wool tho, I use synthetic yarns as they reinforce the worn area and don't wear a hole nearly as soon second time around.

Got into the store bought cotton and synthetics after I left home. In the Sahara dessert, wearing work boots, my feet would sweat and scald and peel. Older hand told me to get wool, like the Arabs wore. It breathes and wicks away moisture some how that other materials don't. So I have worn them most of my life.

Decent wool socks can be hard to find. I Used to buy dress wool socks from Moores and use them till they died. Would buy a dozen pair of the same colour so they never got mismatched. But over about 20% synthetic and they are not the same. Similar Work Warehouse for heavier socks, but now very difficult to find real wool, and the ones they say are Arctic warm , my feet sweat and get damp and I just don't care for them.

Catherine the Great found some decent wool socks last time she was in BC. Pure Marino wool, Fair Trade seller/manufacturer, not a bad price.Anyone is interested, here is their website.

https://blueskyclothingco.com/collectio ... ick-view-2

Ponchos from this site too is using wool for their beautiful products. You may also want to check their website as they are selling not just poncho but raincoats and jackets too.
Thank you for sharing your experience with wool socks and how you have maintained them over the years. It's impressive that you have been able to darn them and even add new foot portions to extend their lifespan.

I completely understand the struggle of finding good quality wool socks, especially ones that are not blended with synthetic materials. It's great to hear that you found a Fair Trade seller/manufacturer that offers pure Marino wool socks, and thank you for sharing the link with us. I'll be sure to check them out!

I also appreciate your tip on wearing wool socks in the desert, as it's interesting to learn how wool can wick away moisture and help with foot comfort in hot and dry conditions. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and experience with us!

Return to “Homesteading”