Foster cows

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
SandyM

Foster cows

Post by SandyM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:28 am

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, feel free to relocate Admin.

I'm wondering if this is unusual or is an actual thing. Will/Do people raise other people's livestock? For example, if I want a calf raised to slaughter but don't have the environment/space to do so, are others offering up this service?

I really would like our own cattle, but I just don't have the landscape to do so. Is it feesible?

Cheers

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Foster cows

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:37 am

People board horses all the time for people who can't. I've never heard of cows being boarded. I'm sure its done. I do know that some people who have empty feedlots will lease them to farmers who want to feed cattle, but don't have the space. Then the owner will do the work and be paid accordingly when they are shipped out. I guess you'd have to find someone with an empty farm, and the desire to have a couple cattle around. Btw.. like most animals, they ARE herd critters, and one won't cut it, unless it has a goat or something to pal with. Horses in the most part are mean to cows, and tend to chase them around. Living beside one tho... would probably work.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Foster cows

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:39 am

And your right Sandy..... you had 4 views when I typed in, and when I came back in, there were immediately 15, lol.

SandyM

Foster cows

Post by SandyM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:44 am

Thanks BVF.

There are some people we know that would want in on the deal so I'd be looking at 2-3 calves for placement. (And I'll sell to them hahahaha)

So a guy up the road...has 2 minature horses but lots of space and a small barn. maybe I'll ask him. And this way I can do all the work myself and just give him some beef or pay him for the space. Unless he has a grow-op in his barn, which wouldn't shock me.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Foster cows

Post by WLLady » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:24 am

You might be surprised at just how many grow ops there are in the country sandy. Lol my policy is "not on my land"- we found plants the first year we lived here called to OPP and publicized loudly in the neighbourhood that we dont care what people do elsewhere but do that on our land and we will not be neighbourly. No problems since.

Yeah herd beasts do way better in a herd. But stay away from goats ;-P (just kidding....pun intended).
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

SandyM

Foster cows

Post by SandyM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:04 am

Yes, we had the herb on our property too when we got here. We also called in the OPP. Made no bones about our property line and what will and won't be tolerated.

An acquaintance on the other side of our road has a bro-in-law that is OPP. We are privy to a bit of information - she wanted to share because of Josh. We have an attempted murderer and hard core drug dealer around the corner. He just got out of a jail stint AGAIN for pulling a gun on someone when he was wasted in his SUV in the ditch at the end of our road and people stopped to make sure he was OK. INTERESTING DAY that was. The character is Right across the road from the Mennonite blueberry farm. Love thy neighbour I am told. Fuck that poop! I prefer to not know my neighbours lol.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Foster cows

Post by TomK » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:10 am

This a very feasible idea...it could be done two ways..the first being that the landowner tend the cattle in the absence of a non involved animal owner who merely pays for the care and maintenace of the animal(s) and then reaps the perceived reward at the end...all this being part of a contract of course....the second would be an involved animal owner coming regularly to i teractand oversee the care of the animals throughout the season and merely utilizing the rented space from the landowner for a fee...this is a scenario that i am embarking on...i dont have a worry about this as i live on the land and am a watchful old dude...the weed thing comes into play on unoccupied farmland and non wary landowners...easy actually
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WaupoosCowgirl
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Foster cows

Post by WaupoosCowgirl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:20 am

I know of farms where you can pick out a calf and then wait while it grows up and then have it shipped where you want for processing but you ultimately are still paying the farmer a per lb hanging weight price in the end. I am just going to say it like it is...not that I want to burst any bubbles or smash idyllic dreams, owning cattle is not for the faint of heart. Cleaning up after a couple of horses can be done with a pitch fork, cows not so much, so even if you find someone willing to rent you some space if you don't have access to pasture you will have to be prepared for the clean up required (a loader tractor or be willing to pay someone to do it for you). Cows eat a lot as well and again if you don't have access to adequate pasture land you will be shelling out for feed/hay. Cows do not interact especially well with humans (we have one who is a wonderful girl) so moving and working with them can be a pain if not set up properly, they are fearful and don't handle stress well so doctoring or loading can be problematic. Just some food for though, not meant to be aggressive or mean.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Foster cows

Post by ross » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Just tellin it as it is Wampoos Cowgirl . Good stuff . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Foster cows

Post by TomK » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:21 pm

WaupoosCG...true enough...my brother had a job years ago going around the countryside testing for brucilosis (sp?) ..the worst were the 'gentlemen' farmer types with some acreage that would summer pasture a small herd of cattle with the intent on slaughter or sale come autumn. These animals did well, but were incredibly shy of any contact with people as they had absolutely minimal contact with the owner(s)...and he had to go and get them to run he tests...he learned quick and refused any and all that weren't penned ready to test...what a zoo those situations were...frequent, calm and bring the yummies kind of interaction is required or there's hell to pay come loading roundup time
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Homesteading”