Question food grade bags

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
KimChick
Head Chicken

food grade bags

Post by KimChick » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:09 pm

If anyone uses clear plastic bags for freezing poultry, could you let me know where you get them? I want to freeze a whole turkey and am having trouble finding a large enough bag.
I'd go for about a 20 lb bag with dimensions of about 14" x 32". So that would be a circumference of 28" for width and 32" length.
For most of our birds, we disjoint them and use butcher paper, but that wouldn't work for a whole bird.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: food grade bags

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am

I'm pretty sure they have them at the Wholesale Warehouse https://www.wholesaleclub.ca/

That's where I get all my bags. Not sure exact sizes, but they have a lot.

Good luck!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks, K; the last time we were in there, the boxes of bags seemed awfully expensive. Maybe I just wasn't doing my mental Math properly. :rubbingchin:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Dollarama used to sell XXL plastic bags that a lot of folks used. Don't know how cost-effective they were in large quantities, or if they even carry them anymore, but might be worth a look-see.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Homesteading”