Provincially licensed abattoirs

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Provincially licensed abattoirs

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:00 am

:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Provincially licensed abattoirs

Post by KimChick » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks, KB; I saved a couple of the documents.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:23 pm

I wonder how current it is. I noticed that one near me, which has been out of business for 2-3 years is still listed :(.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:36 am

Oh bummer!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:31 am

Talking about bummers. For thanksgiving, we are going to be a little different. A pork butt roast. (Bummer-butt. You get it?)
We dont raise our own pork. But my buddy Rob, who runs Gords abattoir in Leamington buys local pigs. Not from huge barns, but from someone who has like 5 sows and a boar and raises pigs. Not certified organic, but home raised. I am sure if that piggy was sick at 2 wks old, it got some antibiotic. Might have eaten GM corn.

I phone Rob about two weeks ago. Asked him to get me a 10 to 12 lb butt roast for Thanksgiving. I picked it up yesterday. Nicely tied, never frozen, killed Tuesday, cut on Wed and refrigerated.

12 1/4 lbs, $21.75 I think was the tariff. So even if you dont raise your own, there are reasonable options available locally if you look beyond Superstore. My potatoes squash, sweet potatoes, pump[kin and apple and raspberry pie. About a dozen family members.(Not everything can be perfect, even if home grown.)

I shall report more on this later, I am really looking forward to it.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:36 am

Absolutely womderful roast. Only blemish that the company didnt show up on time and it was a little dry from being cooked too long.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Homesteading”