Mushroom day

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Mushroom day

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Some rain some heat yesterday and then more rain. Fine weather for mushrooms.

Went out to do chores this morning and under the cedars were some mushrooms I did not know. Came in and looked them up. They say they are one of the best flavor wild mushrooms. Will find out. Parasol mushroom.
http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomparasol.html

Then saw some others. These I know, we called them redtops when I was a kid. Member of the boletus family for sure, King Bolete I think. My personal favorite mushroom. Slice them up and fry in butter with a little salt. Scrumptious. They get bigger than this too but these will be wonderful. Note the collecting vessel? Says PTO on the front, this should add to the flavor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_edulis

Then on the neighbors lawn was a small forest of what I know as field mushrooms. Got about four lbs. They are the wild ones of the same variety they grow in mushroom farms. I think they have more flavor and are certainly much more fun to find than to buy.

Fried eggs and mushrooms for supper I guess.
Attachments
Field mushrooms, small unopened, just emerged
Field mushrooms, small unopened, just emerged
Field mushrooms, the lot
Field mushrooms, the lot
Redtops. (boletus family)
Redtops. (boletus family)
Parasol mushroom
Parasol mushroom
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Mushroom day

Post by kenya » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Oh my that looks wonderful, wish I knew what was what, too afraid to pick any on my own.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Mushroom day

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Very jealous, will go looking tomorrow.

Return to “Homesteading”