Wood boilers, hot water heat

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Wood boilers, hot water heat

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Thinking about getting one. Havent really started looking into them I know WLL has one. Any recommendations form anyone on brands or sizing, things to watch for? I do want it to be able to run on solar, and I know that is not standard.
Thanks.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Wood boilers, hot water heat

Post by TomK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Farrier..i was going to go the route of an outdoor furnace back in '12 when designing this place I am living in now...intended in floor heating, and all the DHW a fella could want...my hitch came with summer time hot water...i didn't want to be running that thing in the summer just for hot water and the solar run hotwater units just dont work well enough for family situations ...and theres the storage issue...so no...it didnt work out for me...maybe as the techies get creative, we will see...in the meantime a super high efficiency propane boiler is doing splendidly...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Wood boilers, hot water heat

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:54 am

Might want to check into your By Laws because there are all sorts of setback regulations now. Our neighbour has one that went in earlier and is very close to our property line The prevailing wind is in our direction and although our house is 2 acres away it sets off the smoke alarms and we can't use the HRV when it's running. Thankfully it looks like he may be changing to propane this winter.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Homesteading”