Smoker advice

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Smoker advice

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:59 am

SO I obtained something very nifty in trade for potatoes etc (thanks for taking the damn squash)! So I feel the time may be right to try smoking something (no not that) but I've never done it before. I would like to smoke maybe my own ham or bacon and perhaps turkey breast. I know nothing and don't want to spend a fortune. I do have a charcoal BBQ could I do something with that? Any suggestions welcome.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Smoker advice

Post by WLLady » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

it's easy with a charcoal bbq....just light it and get it going but not too hot (you can spritz the charcoal with water to cool it), then wet wood chips - or smoker chips you can buy...you want to char the wood, not burn it. put your meat on the rack, close it up with a little bit of ventilation (unless you LOVE smoke taste) and let it go until the meat is the flavour you want. it is a bit of trial and error and it's okay if you need to actually cook the meat more after smoking, because smoking won't necessarily get the internal temp of the meat up enough in a big fat piece. you might want to start with something thinner, like homemade jerky or fish until you get the "feel" for how to do it. usually less is more too with smoking, it is possible to make a piece too smokey LOL. yes, i speak from experience. i have a smoker though-but you can use a bbq to smoke, even a gas bbq/propane one will work, as long as the heat is on low and enough to char the wood, not burst it into flame.

a nice one to start with-sweet maple chicken breast (also good with porkchops)-marinade your chicken in a mix of water and maple syrup overnight in the fridge. drain and place in the smoker with maple chips and smoke for approximately 30 minutes with the smoker set at 250F. remove from smoker and finish in the oven until chicken is "well" on a meat thermometer.

make sure you have a drip pan a rack below your meat when you smoke it (if you aren't over charcoal), quite a bit of liquid will come out of the meat while smoking.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 am

It will for sure be cooked afterward so not worried there. Great! Oh and what type of wood chips would I use for that bacon type flavour if I do some pork belly?
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am

Very curious to hear how it works for you, on of those things that's still on my bucket list.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 am

Well maybe you two should be my guinea pigs?
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 pm

You mean a delicious way to put us out of our misery? :D

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Just don't inhale . 👍👼
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

LongCrow
On the Roost

Post by LongCrow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:48 am

For bacon, traditional is hickory but apple or maple also great.
Turkey mild apple, maple or pecan. Bolder hickory, mesquite or oak. Or a mix of any.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Yeah i would do maple or hickory for the bacon like longcrow suggested. Mmmmmmmmm
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm

OK so today was the great experiment and........ it went fine, sort of. Need some fine tuning, I did a piece of pork slab with apple wood in our charcoal bbq. It's usually a nightmare to keep going but not today! I'm fairly sure there are not supposed to be flames however. Tough to keep the temp down and the slab did actually cook in the middle. We did taste a piece and it's fine! I will use the same cure next time.A learning experience but we'll try again with a larger/thicker piece of meat. This will be sautéed with potato pieces and curd cheese thrown in at the end.
Thanks all!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Homesteading”