Question Preserving pumpkin

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Preserving pumpkin

Post by KimChick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Gearing up to preserve some pumpkin via pressure canning. We have very limited freezer space.
Anyone ever done this?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Preserving pumpkin

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:58 pm

You can keep whole pumpkins in a cool dry place until well after valentine's day. We had one last year until Easter but when we cut it open it wasn't good. 1: don't let them touch each other 2: keep away from apples in storage (apples emit gas and potatoes and other things spoil quickly when close) 3: keep in a cool dry place on a wooden shelf 4: pick a fruit without any skin damage or dings 5: keep several as not all will last. This also applies to other squash including spaghetti squash.

In fact our side of the house is cool and we heat with wood and we had two pumpkins and a big zuchini on the (wood) floor as a display and its surprising how long they last.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 pm

That's good to know, Baronrenfrew; thanks! We did keep our squash in the basement, and it lasted quite a while. We had spaghetti and buttercup. So it makes sense that pumpkin would be similar. I may keep some of them in the basement but preserve most of them. We have quite a few.

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Post by goatgal35 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:31 am

Yup. Pressure can in cubes. As with most canned veggies the texture is a bit mushy. Its great to use for soup, pies and baking. My kids akways loved pumpkin bread and muffins made from the jars of canned pumpkin. Have fun and enjoy!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 pm

goatgal35 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:31 am
Yup. Pressure can in cubes. As with most canned veggies the texture is a bit mushy. Its great to use for soup, pies and baking. My kids akways loved pumpkin bread and muffins made from the jars of canned pumpkin. Have fun and enjoy!
Believe it or not, the absolute best pumpkin muffins I've ever had were when my mother made them using bacon drippings (fat). They had they that smokey flavour that went well with the pumpkin.

Return to “Homesteading”