Cleaning eggs

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Cleaning eggs

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:18 pm

To wash, or not to wash; that is the question.
According to my research and my meager experience:
Do not wash if you want to 1) incubate; 2) maintain freshness longer.
Wash if you want to 1) get the mud/straw/dirt off for better presentation and cleanliness if selling; 2) have clean eggs before using.
This might be one of those "do what works for you" things, but input from those more experienced would be welcome.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Cleaning eggs

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:34 pm

I think this question will have again as many opinions as there are poultry keepers.
My two cents worth, start with a clean nest, the eggs should come out more or less clean.
Here dirty eggs don't make it in to the house, very lightly soiled eggs get rinsed and air dried....
applies to both eating and hatching eggs.
About 5 years ago I purchased 2 dozen hatching eggs and half was somewhat dirty, since I wouldn't dream of putting dirty eggs in to an incubator (what a perfect way to grow bacteria) I washed the stained dozen and left the other unwashed. there was no difference in hatching results, they all hatched.
Not sure but I suspect that the idea of longer freshness might be left over from the times before refrigeration.
I wouldn't sell unclean eggs simply because a) the yuck factor and b) when you crack an egg any surface dirt will likely end up in somebody's breakfast and I wouldn't be willing to take the risk of somebody getting sick.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm

If you wash there are a specific set of temperature guidelines or you may suck bacteria in. I don't wash because the eggs are pretty clean to start with. If they are dirty check nests and butts!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:11 pm

I don't wash eggs but mainly because I don't find a need to. The occasional muddy or poopy one gets rinsed or tossed depending on how many I have stocked in the fridge lol.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. The eggs would only get muddy if it has been raining, since then hens move eggs around with both their beaks and feet. They share nesting boxes. I do keep the boxes clean.
And thanks, Ontario Chick for that info.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 pm

I wash eggs if there's mud or...other things. So, about half my eggs if it has rained enough to get mucky. If they're stained, (damp hay is the WORST), I cook and feed to whatever, but the rest are fair game for selling, hatching etc.. This time of year all eggs go in the fridge. Washed ones hatch just fine in my experience. So do refrigerated eggs as long as fridge doesn't go below 4°C for long

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by scottishpet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Interesting question. I took my husband “hame” to Scotland a couple of years ago and the thing that Gobsmacked him was that eggs were sold in the stores not in the refrigeration section. All the stores in my home area were like that. Even Tesco (which is the UK’s version of Loblaw’s) did not refrigerate their eggs. Hubby asked a store manager out of curiosity about the practice when he was wandering the Scotch isle. Local farmers are told not to wash the eggs. They are delivered as is, sold in cartons of 6 or 12. The policy in the Northern Highlands anyway is not to wash eggs or refrigerate. Another interesting thing is most household in the UK have bar sized fridges only. Perhaps that is changing now, but as a kid, no one had "big fridges", when we immigrated to Canada, I was shocked at the size of the fridges! Now I can't manage without at least two full sized fridges on the go. We often do things because it is past practice, not because it is better or worse.

Return to “Homesteading”