Question "fresh"eggs

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
KimChick
Head Chicken

"fresh"eggs

Post by KimChick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 pm

I've been looking on-line to get an answer about how old fresh eggs are.
There seems to be some discrepancy, but it may come down to "a week or less" are fresh eggs.
However, if you want to hard boil them and get the egg shells off easily - then it's 2 weeks old. That's what I was told; I tried it; it's true.

What do other people say about this?

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: "fresh"eggs

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Yes, and for boiling "fresh eggs" then steam them (15 minutes as I recall) and they'll peel easily.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:24 pm

RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am

steam your fresh eggs :-) it works. i consider eggs "old" if they've managed to sit in my fridge for more than 2 weeks. but i don't really seem to have that problem.....usually i'm either collecting for hatching or they go out the door as fast as they're collected.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks everyone.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:11 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am
steam your fresh eggs :-) it works. i consider eggs "old" if they've managed to sit in my fridge for more than 2 weeks. but i don't really seem to have that problem.....usually i'm either collecting for hatching or they go out the door as fast as they're collected.
For the same amount of time as if the eggs were being boiled, then taken off the heat?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm

i steam for 20 minutes....fill the bottom pot with water and then put the eggs in the steamer pot on top and put the lid on and once water in the pot boils i turn it down to med-low and let them go 20 minutes.
then turn the whole thing off, put the eggs into the sink with ice and cold water until they are cool enough to peel without burning my fingers.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:19 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm
i steam for 20 minutes....fill the bottom pot with water and then put the eggs in the steamer pot on top and put the lid on and once water in the pot boils i turn it down to med-low and let them go 20 minutes.
then turn the whole thing off, put the eggs into the sink with ice and cold water until they are cool enough to peel without burning my fingers.
Tried and true!!!!!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:53 pm

WLLady wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm
I'm going to try it!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 pm

I must say I wasn't convinced when I read the instructions for the first time but finally tried it, haven't cooked hard boiled eggs any other way since.
I cook for 14 min ( medium size eggs) and they are done to perfection, thank you PTO ! :)

Return to “Homesteading”