Handy items, tips etc.

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
Dominion Link
On the Roost

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by Dominion Link » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 pm

As I was walking out to do the night chores I was thinking how I've been using a headlamp pretty much every evening, for 6ish months a year, for years now. Locking up birds for the night, checking water troughs, watching for icey patches where I'm walking etc, I have found my headlamp to be very useful over the years. Being hands free, headlamps are so much more handy than traditional flashlights.

Got me wondering what other handy items, tips etc the fine PTO folks might have to recommend?
The longer I keep chickens, the more I like ducks.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by ross » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:39 am

Yep me too Dean . Also since my hens run loose they can lay just bout anywhere in barn so I find one of those extenda reach grabber things with jaws for picking up eggs in hard to reach areas is a handy tool . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by thegawd » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:57 am

I have a couple 3 wheel strollers that I use as wheelbarrows to help me move heavy stuff like 2 full culligan bottles of water without spilling them. out at camp I have one that the front wheel turns and its much easier to steer. I use it to haul my fishing stuff and hopefully a cooler full of fish up and down the hill. they work like a charm and are way easier to use than a wagon. I found all 3 of mine in the gabage, not even broken at all and only required the tires to be pumped back up, they were all used for my kids before they outgrew them and then became tools (the strollers, not the kids LOL). these are great back savers that have a spot for your coffee or beverage of choice and pockets to hold different tools like a rubber mallot to smack the ice out. When I built the coop n run it was very handy to carry the tools around and keep them out of the mud, I cut 2x4s off it. I carried 3 bags of feed last week so they are plenty strong enough for most jobs. I also used it when planting the garden to carry the seedlings, seeds and garden tools. since its skinny enough to fit through the rows it was used to harvest almost everything.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Al, need a picture!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by thegawd » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 pm

I finally remembered to take a better pic! LOL
Screenshot_2016-12-30-17-06-211432195786.png
Al

Home Grown Poultry

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:33 pm

If you split wood with an axe: 1. Stack three old tires with your block and piece to split. When you hit it doesn't fly or fall, it stays in place. 2. Get a leveraxe http://www.leveraxe.com/en/
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by thegawd » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

I dont have a lever axe but I do have a mechanical axe, not sure exactly what its called but it does the same thing just in a different way. works great for when I only need to split a bit, for the big jobs I use a 28 tonne champion splitter. by far one of the best investments we made, my back absolutely loves it!

EDIT...

its a Chopper 1 made in the US.
Screenshot_2016-12-28-19-34-10-1483008795.png
Screenshot_2016-12-28-19-35-39-675933029.png
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by WLLady » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm

i have a reacher grabber thingy like ross' that i use to pick up eggs (and will again after i'm choring again), and flashlights....good strong hand held light for the days things go to heck in a hurry. those are kinda sprinkled around in various places. i have a garden cart for hauling stuff, and moving dollies under the bins of feed....so i can push them or pull them around the loft to where i need them.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by KimChick » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 pm

I do like the idea of a headlamp. The under-the-arm flashlight doesn't always shine in the right spot and sometimes gets dropped.
For cleaning the coops, I have been using a hand rake and dust bin to gather and dump into a 5 gallon pail or wheelbarrow. Have also used a garden hoe to clean dried droppings on the floor in the bedding (not really original).
I have also used a long-handled large kitchen spoon to reach under the coop for an egg when we first got our pullets. (Then I washed the spoon.)

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Handy items, tips etc.

Post by TomK » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:44 pm

But, but kimchick...that gets rid of all the vitamins... :running-chicken:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Homesteading”