Non-proffit Abattoir to open in eastern Ontario???

Raising your own and being self sufficient.
Forum rules
Warning: This thread may contain subjects that are disturbing to some (including processing instructions, predator control methods etc.). If you do not wish to read about these topics do not open them. Overt criticism of these practices, which are required for self-sufficiency, crop and livestock protection will not be tolerated. Any discussion pertaining to infringement on animal rights in a radical manner will result in banning from PTO at the moderator’s discretion.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:13 am

Article in 'EDIBLE OTTAWA' July/Aug. issue
Group of people are organizing to re-open a decommissioned processing plant near Athens ON
Few facts in the article that didn't really come as a surprise, we have been struggling with having our rabbits/ducks/chickens processed within reasonable distance for 40 years , in last 10 years Eastern Ontario has lost 35% of provincially licensed abattoirs, and one I didn't know, Rideau Meats in Smith Falls has closed.
It's ironic, that now that Chicken Farmers of Ontario has come out in support of "artisanal" chicken program, there may be sadly few places to have these birds processed.
I hope the group is successful, if I was any closer, I would be all over that effort.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Oh man I hope they get this off the ground I drive by the old abattoir outside of Athens on my way to work. It would be awesome drop birds off in the morning and pick up after work.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

scottishpet
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Re: Non-proffit Abattoir to open in eastern Ontario???

Post by scottishpet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:36 pm

I listen to the pasture poultry podcast often and that does seem to be a problem...finding processing facilities that will allow small flocks to be processed in the current licensed facilities. I plan to just learn to get good at it myself and buy the equipment I need...but it is not possible for everyone and it seems like a real challenge!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:47 pm

They are now open, the name is Farmersville if you'd like to look them up. Sadly, they are only set up for large animals, and no immediate plans to expand into poultry :(
I sent a pig and two bulls to them last year, and was happy with the job they did and the price.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 pm

scottishpet wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:36 pm
I listen to the pasture poultry podcast often and that does seem to be a problem...finding processing facilities that will allow small flocks to be processed in the current licensed facilities. I plan to just learn to get good at it myself and buy the equipment I need...but it is not possible for everyone and it seems like a real challenge!
Yes with some basic equipment processing your own is relatively easy, the only major drawback to processing your own is you cannot sell the home processed poultry to anyone.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:10 pm

All of this is good to know. Thanks.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:05 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:47 pm
They are now open, the name is Farmersville if you'd like to look them up. Sadly, they are only set up for large animals, and no immediate plans to expand into poultry :(
I sent a pig and two bulls to them last year, and was happy with the job they did and the price.
Nice, Thanks for posting, glad they got it of the ground and you were able to support it.

Return to “Homesteading”