ANY QUILTERS Here?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: ANY QUILTERS Here?

Post by KimChick » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Beautiful quilt!
Poultryprincess - your boxers also have very short hair and are not built for our winters. I would think they need those jackets.
To document my completed projects, I copy and paste the pics onto a 4 x 6 size document (index card size) and insert a text box stating what it is and when I completed it. Then I print them and put them in a picture album; except I'll have to get a larger one soon.
Right now, I have just finished machine quilting some placemats (they coordinate with my dishes) and have to sew on the binding. It's hard to see that the colours have an olive tone. I have decided to attach the binding by machine then finish with hand sewing because I didn't like the way the machine sewn binding on the table topper turned out.
The completed item is a shortened version of the placemats; call it a table topper.
The completed item is a shortened version of the placemats; call it a table topper.
After this, I can move on to piecing together more old upholstery fabric samples to make large zip up totes with some applique symbols.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 am

OHHHHH that is such a Wonderful quilt, LUCKY boy!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:10 am

This is a recap,
In the sixties and seventies, when quilting revival was in full swing and I was at home with 2 children, and did an awful lots of sewing and quilting, cottons came up on sale regularly for $0.49 a yard and I couldn't resist.
With the arrival of third child and work outside home, the boxes got put away for later.
Apparently much later then expected, after retirement I picked up quilting again, and there were so many new beautiful fabrics available I went on a bit of a binge, until fabrics and even quilting thread became so expensive, that I promised myself no more new fabrics until my old box was used up.
Because of what @kenya said, I hauled it out again, and here it is in a nutshell. Also have 2 boxes of solid colors of all the shades imaginable.
I have plenty of quilting books and patterns, but am curious if any PTO members get inspired idea on how to use these, need a fresh set of eyes I think.
Red-ish.jpg
Blue-ish.jpg
Whatever-ish.jpg

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am

Now this is just one pattern but I like the way they used the Reds and blues to make it.
Screenshot_2019-09-23-13-32-19.png

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 am

That is gorgeous @kenya !
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:39 am

I like that very much, it started squares dancing in front of my eyes :)

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:09 pm

Luv this!
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 am

kenya wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am
Now this is just one pattern but I like the way they used the Reds and blues to make it.Screenshot_2019-09-23-13-32-19.png
Funny I have considered the log cabin pattern at some point, but decided against it because I made at least two of them in the seventies and didn't think I could get motivated enough to do it again.
Your picture takes the idea to another level and the challenge to brake it down to 12 or 14" squares so I can quilt them in my lap, definitely worth trying.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:04 pm

@Ontario Chick , have you considered making masks with those materials that you don't think will ever make it into a quilt? I think that there probably elderly care homes that would be interested in having extra DIY masks as an emergency back-up should their supplies of PPMs run low or out. This US health facility website, https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/ ... masks.aspx, offers a mask pattern they recommend, based on their research, as well as step-by-step video instructions for sewing these masks.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:08 pm

I suspect that fabrics that spend 50 years in my basement wouldn't be very sterile , and may do more harm then good.

Return to “Crafting”