ANY QUILTERS Here?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: ANY QUILTERS Here?

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:36 am

I tend to take ideas from different places and prefer to combine them to suit me,
I like the border on this one and also the solid one on the first square you posted, so would probably combine the two.
adding to the file, will probably save for next fall, something to look forward to, Thank you @kenya for the inspiration.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Ontario Chick - With the fabric I received from my mother, there are three different things I have done with them so far, not including the large tote I posted in another thread.
1. made a crisscross reversible apron;
2. used one large piece of fabric and bought coordinating fabric for a quilting pattern that I will incorporate into a market bag (I reduced the foundation paper piecing pattern by half);
3. used another large piece of fabric and bought coordinating smaller pieces for a wall quilt for a class in April (that is postponed until whenever).
So, my plan is to make market bags, egg/produce carrying bags, etc. Since plastic is passe, and most paper bags are thrown out, cloth bags are in. I still have my quilted and appliqued bag from the '70's. I'm thinking that cloth bags are in!?
I was also thinking of making some microwave bowls. Then I found out that the fabric should be 100% cotton, which I don't think my fabric is.
Then again, all this fabric is from the '70's - '90's and was not chosen by me.
Your fabrics look nicely coordinated. I suggest finding a favourite quilt block, or like you said above - combining ideas - and working it into a different project of your choice. I just happen to choose bags.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:35 pm

There is a local Facebook group here called PPE for PEC run by some of our Family Health team and they are getting locals to make gowns and masks.

The patterns have been developed by one of the physicians to be as good as a medical mask and getting closer to a N95 but also reusable and comfortable. The directions are on the FB page and they recommend using a variety of fabrics including old sheets, etc. and washing instructions, so don’t discount that old fabrics couldn’t be used. In fact she does recommend quilting fabric as a good choice.

Type in PPE for PEC in the search box to get to it, you may have to scroll through to find the pattern instructions and also useful information on how and why she got to the patterns she’s posted.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:38 pm

One thing the nurses really like are scrub caps that have buttons on the side to attach the masks to. Your ears get really sore wearing a mask all day and this prevents that plus it covers your hair from the virus.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm

My DH is working on getting some mask extenders/ear guards made on his 3D printer. Inspired by Quinn Callandar ...
https://www.demilked.com/boy-scout-crea ... callander/
@kenya , do you have any links to patterns for your scrub cap with buttons ?
BTW, @Brebis , I've been making masks based on several different patterns. When I first suggested making DIY masks for front line workers, there wasn't a lot of interest, so I just made them for DH and I for personal use. Not that we are getting out much. LOL.
Then yesterday Dr. Tam said it wouldn't be a bad idea ...
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:40 pm

@Jaye Yes I've seen similar using fabric, no I don't have a pattern for the scrub caps, staff like them though.
Lots of patterns on the net though.

MommyQuilt
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by MommyQuilt » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:06 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 am
This is my "under the wire" for Christmas quilt for my 4 year old grandson, touching on his "globe trotting" childhood.;)
Adrian's quilt Christmas 2019.jpg
Beautiful quilt, well done !

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:01 am

Thank you @MommyQuilt
I noticed some time ago I didn't have a picture of that quilt and have forgotten about the post on PSO, so nice present to me :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:24 am

@MommyQuilt Welcome! Tell us a bit about yourself here
I'm New Here Introductions
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:59 pm

These are some quilt pieced bags I made:
9-Patch Rows by Cindy Mccoy - with applique
9-Patch Rows by Cindy Mccoy - with applique
Euclid Avenue by Sassafras Lane (pattern at 50% of original size)
Euclid Avenue by Sassafras Lane (pattern at 50% of original size)
Euclid by Kaye Prince (pattern at 25% of original size)
Euclid by Kaye Prince (pattern at 25% of original size)

Return to “Crafting”