Answers: 1

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:06 am

I got mine from Richter's herbs.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:12 am

OMG!! How did I not know about richters herbs. I gotta go, I can be found at richters herbs :) woohoo!!!

Robbie
Head Chicken

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by Robbie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:22 am

SandyM wrote:QR_BBPOST OMG!! How did I not know about richters herbs. I gotta go, I can be found at richters herbs :) woohoo!!!
Their greenhouse selection is not as good as the catalogue, sometimes the quality is so-so- and be careful- I've gotten every pest from them, from whiteflies to fungus gnats to scale and aphids.......... keep the plants in quarantine! They grow organically, I'm not sure how they do pest control but as soon as they are in your house any pest that comes along for the ride takes off.

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:24 am

Ugh! I can never freely indulge these days I tell ya.

Thanks for the heads up

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by Brebis » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:48 pm

They grow quite a bit slower than herbs such as basil so I wanted to get it a good size before I started to harvest leaves.
To get good growth it needs more nutrients than it can get from a small pot and water. I use compost which works well and isn't "artificial".
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:32 am

Al- nope never tried Bonsai, i've thought about it, its definitely a contemplative art. It caught my attention as a kid. I spend time with kitchen herbs instead. I find my enthusiasm waxes and wanes so that's why birds r great. You can have a few birds and almost ignore them, then spring comes around and the fun starts. If I get bored i get something different.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

goatgal35
Starting to Crow

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by goatgal35 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:23 am

I bought my Bay at the local Independent Grocery store in Delhi at the summer end clearance a few years ago. It was $6 and about a foot tall. It goes outside in summer and inside in winter. I repot every spring with compost. I have been using leaves from it since I got it. It is a bomb proof plant.

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:50 pm

HA! If you only knew how much I needed bomb proof plants. I'm doing my damnedest to not kill the sweet potato shoots I got from WLLady. C'mon mothers day so I can get these plants in the ground. They are latterly dying to get outside. HAHA!

SandyM

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by SandyM » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:24 pm

I haven't had time to get to a garden centre to pick up any bay laurel plants. Thursday when we went to the US, I was saying to Lou, boy I really need to find the time to get these or my luck I won't find any till next year.

Today on their way home from a job site they stopped at a greenhouse and brought home 2 plants. :heart:
image.jpeg
Now to pot them and not kill them.

Robbie
Head Chicken

Bay Laurel Tree

Post by Robbie » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Yay !

Return to “Gardening”