Aerogarden

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Aerogarden

Post by labradors » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 pm

Maybe too much nitrogen if the leaves were bushy, but few fruit. I start them under lights and pot up into Pro Mix for veggies which has a slow-release fertilizer. I amend the planting hole with aged chicken manure/compost - imagine that!
Variety does have a big influence though. Some are stingy with the peppers.
I learned a new trick, which is that peppers like to have buddies, so I plant two side-by-side, then leave the correct planting space and plant two more side-by-side. At the very least, it makes better use of my garden space :).

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:29 am

So I decided to start my Kratky project today and either my jar is too small or my net cup is too large. I find it strange that this was messed up because I read reviews and everything in detail obviously not enough detail. I will need to put my innovation hat on now!

I'm thinking I don't need a net cup. Anything wrong with leaving it like this?
Attachments
Screenshot_20240407_102342_Gallery.jpg
20240407_103424.jpg
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:08 am

The 3" ones fit wide-mouth mason jars, so I don't know what went wrong there. Perhaps you will find a 1 gallon jar that the large net pot will fit.

The pool noodle should be fine. I would wrap the noodle around the grow sponge and making sure that the bottom of the grow sponge is sitting in 1/4" of water - that's assuming you are transferring something from an Aerogarden. If you are using a cutting, just make sure that some roots are touching the water.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:14 pm

I made my genovese basil into 2 plants and the Thai basil into 4 plants. Not sure what to to do with ths thyme, parsley, and mint... The dill never sprouted

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:23 pm

The noodles will be fine for the basils :). I'm finding that other plants (like tomatoes and even bush beans) need a bit more support around the base.

Parsley is nice for salads and tabuleh. Maybe plant it in the garden for the butterflies.

If you drink herb tea, mint is great for that, but it's invasive so probably better in a pot if you decide to move it.

Thyme is nice in the garden I don't use it as a herb, maybe it's ok on fish.

I only grow dill for the Swallowtails, but it takes over my veg. garden and grows very tall. I like it on potato salad and salmon.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:10 pm

So should I leave everything in the AG until eg 3rd week of May then plant outside or should I put them into Kratky jars too? Have you tried grow rosemary in the AG? I find it smells and tastes wonderful on steaks 🤤🤤🤤

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:23 pm

You could try, leaving everything in until the third week in May for planting out. (You can always take cuttings and root things for the garden if you think they are going to be too big). I haven't actually done this, but I understand that seedlings for the garden are usually left for one month, then potted up and left for a second month. That's not carved in stone, but that's what I would do.

I've never tried Rosemary in an AG. Do you have seeds? I think it would be great :). You can take cuttings from Rosemary too I have rooted them in water.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:43 pm

No. I do not. Should I buy from Mackenzie seeds? Seems like they are difficult to grow...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:53 pm

Well if you're game for it :). They need to be soaked first. I would start them in damp paper towel in a baggie......

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:24 pm

Sure I'm game... Hee hee... AG experiment 2. Rosemary. Kratky jars look good!

So Brazilian Staff asked if flowers are ok in the work AG. Disapproval from EVERYONE.LOL. They want food. I said plant whatever you what. It's your TURN. We had homemade methi pancakes today and they tasted soooo good. Made from our AG plants.

Return to “Gardening”