Aerogarden

labradors
Head Chicken

Aerogarden

Post by labradors » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:53 pm

Does anyone have an Aerogarden?

I always thought they were expensive units for growing lettuce, but I broke down and bought one on Amazon's Black Friday sale, and two more after that. Then I got into the Kratky method of hydroponics (I'm using mason jars). It's an addictive, but fun hobby for the winter months with the side benefit of some extra bright light which was very much needed during this dull winter.

We've really enjoyed lots of home-grown lettuce, coriander, spinach and basil. The bush beans, cucumber and micro tomatoes will take a little longer to produce, but so far, so good :).
Attachments
P1050007.JPG
P2090001.JPG

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Aerogarden

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:30 pm

Glad it's working OK. My sprouting in jars etc. was pretty much a disaster and not how I remember from doing it as a kid. The varieties seem to be different esp. mustard and cress.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:13 am

I have remnants of my "summer garden" I know, pitiful,
but it gives me a pretty good idea of what I would use if I could grow it.
Definitely basil, and rosemary @labradors what do you recommend as a growing system ?
Parsley , rosemary and Basil.jpg

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:37 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by labradors on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:44 pm

I don't know why this site only tells me of new messages in "general". I probably have it set wrong :(.

Sorry that your sprouting jars didn't work out Killerbunny. I've tried growing microgreens on a thin layer of Promix under a grow light. It needs to be sprayed with water every day, but so far I've done mustard, broccoli and 2 types of radish. I used plastic meat containers which are about 5" x 7" and created rather a lot of microgreens, so I will grow less next time.

O.C. Good for you! At least they are hanging in, and will do better when we get some more sunshine!
If you are asking about Aerogardens, basil goes NUTS in them! I started with a Harvest which is a good unit with 6 pods. I then bought a second Harvest, and a Bounty Basic. The latter being double the price! It does have 9 pods, a little cage, a light which is a bit stronger and can be raised to 18" instead of 12". The time is programable. It remembers how many days it's been going which is very useful. There's also a Sprout, which only has 3 pods.

I guess I'm pretty happy with the Harvests and would recommend them. I think they are good value and they are great for growing lettuce and basil. (I had my sights set on growing taller veggies, but ended up with coriander in the Bounty and the taller things growing in Kratky jars under a Root Farm grow light).

Word is, from the excellent forum that I joined on FB, that Aerogarden is the most reliable, although kinda pricey. Their customer support is supposed to be good. Other models that the members find ok are the Ahope, IDOO and Mufga, some of which are ridiculously cheap in the US. I have checked them all out at Amazon.ca and there are often sales on all the units.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:24 am

labradors wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:37 pm
I don't know why this site only tells me of new messages in "general". I probably have it set wrong :(.

Sorry that your sprouting jars didn't work out Killerbunny. I've tried growing microgreens on a thin layer of Promix under a grow light. It needs to be sprayed with water every day, but so far I've done mustard, broccoli and 2 types of radish. I used plastic meat containers which are about 5" x 7" and created rather a lot of microgreens, so I will grow less next time.

O.C. Good for you! At least they are hanging in, and will do better when we get some more sunshine!
If you are asking about Aerogardens, basil goes NUTS in them! I started with a Harvest which is a good unit with 6 pods. I then bought a second Harvest, and a Bounty Basic. The latter being double the price! It does have 9 pods, a little cage, a light which is a bit stronger and can be raised to 18" instead of 12". The time is programable. It remembers how many days it's been going which is very useful. There's also a Sprout, which only has 3 pods.

Word is, from the excellent forum that I joined on FB, that Aerogarden is the most reliable, although kinda pricey. Their customer support is supposed to be good. Other models that the members find ok are the Ahope, IDOO and Mufga, some of which are ridiculously cheap in the US. I have checked them all out at Amazon.ca and there are often sales on all the units.
That was the sort of thing I did but I think the varieties were different!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am

It's nice to have some greenery inside, I am hopeless with house plants, but the herbs are nice to have fresh.
I think my Rosemary is developing an actual trunk, I may have a small tree eventually. :)

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:02 am

OC Well done with the Rosemary! I used to love the smell, and was always tempted to buy one shaped like a Christmas tree, but I had a few bushes at our place down south so I resisted. You can actually root cuttings in water. Not all of them took, but I had luck with a few of them. I haven't had much luck growing it here outside and, of course, it's not hardy.

It IS nice to have herbs in the kitchen. I always forget about basil in the summer time as there are so many other things to add to a salad, but now that I have two plants growing, I use it all the time :).

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:24 pm

I looked on the net and it seems the aerogarden is one of the easiest wrt maintenance. Does anyone have problems with their dogs eating their veges? I'm almost certain Otis would if I kept them near the ground 🤣🤣🤣

There were so many types and even just looking at Aero... Many models to choose from
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:37 pm

No problem with the dogs eating the veggies - so far :). The AG's are on the counter, but my Kratky jars are on the ground. The dogs like to raid the veggie garden in the summer for peppers and tomatoes.

There certainly are lots of choices at Amazon. The trick is to find an Aerogarden on sale.

Return to “Gardening”