2023 veggie garden

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: 2023 veggie garden

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:54 am

I grew Royal Burgundy this year for the first time. Lots of folks seem to love it. I found it tough and fibrous. Was it just the weather?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:03 pm

Killerbunny. Is the Royal Burgundy a variety of bush bean? I grow Provider which I think is really tasty :).

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:58 pm

@labradors yes it is. I tried it this year. I have Contender as well and Buerre de Rocquencort which are fine.
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:12 pm

anyone else having issues with squash borers this year? I've replanted my zucchini....i'm sure i'll have lots eventually LOL. My garlic got lifted last week, huge and beautiful and stinky-just like garlic should be! It looks like i might actually get onions this year! whoohoo! My spinach took a hit in the hot and humid and gave up and bolted. My lettuce is doing the same, so those got a replant too for a second crop. Broccoli and cauliflower were incredible! each head about 2-3 pounds. just awesome, all in the freezer now. The beans are also going into the freezer-so many beans! i do rodcor and provider. I should have planted 50% of what i did, because they're providing...holy smokes. I only got half picked this weekend and blanched, will be busy all week with those now after work. The blight is just starting in the bottom of the beans and tomatoes down here, we've had so much rain! Sweet corn should be ready shortly! can't wait! We had huge raspberries this year too, couldn't keep up with them! We could use a little less rain....like maybe once every 3 days LOL. And fewer tornadoes down this way! Tomatoes keep getting knocked off their spirals! Cucumbers everywhere, and i think i can actually hear the watermelons growing.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:51 pm

Yes to the squash borers. Waited to arrive until my buttercup & kabocha were a couple of weeks from maturity!
Mutt chickens for eggs

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:29 pm

WLLady, sounds like quite a garden! As for the beans, I figured out how many works for us and planted extra, but the rabbits (who never bothered the beans before) were horrendous this year, so I had to plant more in a safe place, and hide the ones that were chewed by letting the wild purslane grow up around them. No beans here yet, but they are coming (fingers crossed). Just wanted to say that the amount you planted might be just right if rabbits move in!

Garlic is getting harvested - slowly. I'm removing diseased tomato leaves every day, but the plants are actually looking great and should give me a great harvest (I hope).

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:30 am

Garlic harvested here slowly too, tomatoes the ones that are ready taste water logged regardless of size and color, and cucumber leaves are looking moldy.
Since I am finding raspberry shoots in between the beds, I suspect by next year all I will have left is a raspberry patch.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:39 am

Got my garlic in too (sigh of relief!)

Ontario Chick, I have learned that it's wise to pick all blushing tomatoes whenever rain is in the forecast. Just let them sit somewhere to finish ripening. I keep mine in the basement. Many of the varieties that I grow are prone to split in the rain, and you never know who is out there waiting to snack on the ripe ones.

I'm growing Eureka F1 cukes because the cucumber beetles were so bad that they decimated my favourite Baby Fingers. These do seem resistant, although I spotted the beetles on them this season. They've killed a few leaves, but the plants still seem healthy and give me enough cukes to share with the chickens and dogs.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:13 pm

SO if you want crazy I'm harvesting Brussels sprouts! What is going on?
Mutt chickens for eggs

Farrier
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farrier » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:42 pm

My garden pretty good. Have been eating lots of potatoes and beet greens and salads of whatever green stuff I bring in. Poor onion crop, from sets, not getting any size. I planted beans and tomatoes a little late and they are just going to come on. Green beans bush, I grow french filet, tenderest non stringy and bear fair heavy. No squash borers here that I know of. Have a wonderful crop of red hubbard coming. And the black berries are in full production, just jarred up 10 pints of jam. My rasps (same ones KB got from me) will be ripening in the next few days and will bear until frost. Put in three more raised beds this year, make life way easier for me.

Return to “Gardening”